Linking to files in file repositry - virtual directory IIS - safe?

Linking to files in file repositry - virtual directory IIS - safe?

by Mitja Decman -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

we use Moodle 2.7 on Windows Server 2012 and a File repository. It is great if you use files that need occasional updates, since you don't have to replace files or change links, you just open the file (for example Excel and save changes).

But when you upgrade a server (we do this once a year, migrate to a new server), doing backup and restore, all the links are broken, so we have to relink all the files.

If we put the files (upload) to the course, it is easier to upgrade, but harder to change files (delete old one and upload and link a new one.

So what we did is add a virtual directory to IIS,

so existing link: https://educate.com/draftfile.php/15/user/draft/274444580/831part1.mp4

can be replace with: https://educate.com/moodlefiles/video/831part1.mp4

It works great, migration effortless, we just copy the repository and links work and we keep the easy file changing.

The question is, can this be dangerous, since one can directly access the file if he knows the folder and file name?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mitja Decman

Re: Linking to files in file repositry - virtual directory IIS - safe?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
(quote) If we put the files (upload) to the course, it is easier to upgrade, but harder to change files (delete old one and upload and link a new one.

If you use the alias/shortcut feature-from Private files for example - this should be fairly straightforward. See Working with files section 4 Creating an alias.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Odg: Re: Linking to files in file repositry - virtual directory IIS - safe?

by Mitja Decman -

Hi,

I am checking the private files option but I have one question. blush

I uploaded a .docx file to private files. I created a label with some text and a link to it (create an alias/shortcut) .

Now, for example I want to update that .docx file (that I modified now).

I open my private files, upload the new file with the same name and select owerwrite. If I test it by downaload from private files it is OK, it has an updated content. Yes

But, when I test the link from the label, I still get the old file (even testing with different browser)? mixed

Mitja