Moodle Course Restore

Moodle Course Restore

by Leon van Romburgh -
Number of replies: 3

Hi

We are currently making final preparations for a big project rolling out from January 2015 until the end of December 2016. Having a disaster and accidental data loss policy in place (tried and tested) are of utmost importance in the event of such.

We are covered in terms of disaster recover with daily backups. The problem is when one of our administrators by accident delete a course with training related data. We are more than prepared to run weekly course backups to mitigate such a risk. However, I am having trouble with the restore of these backups.

I see there are a few options when restoring a course, but non of them seems to allow me to restore the course with the user data. There is always a conflict with the users, where the users already exists in the system.

How can I restore the course with the training records for the users?

We also have an archive policy in place where a course will be deleted from the system when it reaches it's shelve life. Before we delete them we want to backup the course and if needed be able to restore the course with it's student training records. As explained above, we will have the same problem.

I hope there is a way of doing this, otherwise making a backup with the user data is kind off pointless.

Looking forward to your experienced advise and recommendations.

Kind Regards

Leon van Romburgh

Cape Town

South Africa

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leon van Romburgh

Re: Moodle Course Restore

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Hi Leon, there should not be any issue there. It should restore User data and materials without even a blink, whether the Users in the backup are in the system or not. 

Having said that, are you checking the backup/restore logs? IS there any sort of error message there?  That would be the first place to start I imagine. Is there an issue with "duplicate email addresses"? ie, is the restore process trying to add existing users in a second time as new users? No idea why it would do such a thing, or how, but I suspect it is possible. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Leon van Romburgh -

Hi

Thanks for all the help. We managed to narrow it down to a database error. Waiting for the administrator to provide feedback. 

Leon

In reply to Leon van Romburgh

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
This often happens if users have either changed their username or their email address.  If these two fields don't match exactly, you will get the user restore error.  Password might also be an issue but I don't remember if that affects it or not.  Within your restore file, you should be able to find the xml file that has the users in it - make sure that they exactly match the users as they are currently and the restore should go through.