Can we use same moodle datafolder for two diff moodle Project

Can we use same moodle datafolder for two diff moodle Project

by Tharun Kumar -
Number of replies: 3
I Installed a Moodle in a subdomain and moodledata folder was set for the same in Domain root folder,
i have to now install again a moodle project on domain of above subdomain, so can i use same moodle data folder for these two projects, if no please tell me why it is.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tharun Kumar

Re: Can we use same moodle datafolder for two diff moodle Project

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I'm not sure of the technical reasons for and against, but my query would be why would you?

The same amount of space will be taken up if you just create a new folder on the same system and point the new installation at that. This would avoid any potential gotcha's (although someone may be able to come along and say 'no it wont work anyway' )

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Tharun Kumar -

Hi Richard,

Thank for your response,please explain me what is moodledata folder and can we create another folder with some other name and can we use that folder as moodledata folder for newly installing project. I din tried it but still its just a question in advance.

In reply to Tharun Kumar

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The moodledata folder is the folder that holds all the data realting to your moodle instance (not the code, but the content and everything else) You can call it whatever you want (different to your original one) so long as you tell Moodle the name of the folder during the installation process or in the config.php