Computer science equation editor

Computer science equation editor

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Plugin developers

Following on from the Chemistry equation editor plugin for Atto, I have developed a similar Computer science equation editor. It works with either the Moodle TeX filter or Moodle MathJax filter (or both) enabled on Moodle 2.7 or later.

This was designed for the United Kingdom (Yes, it still exists!) A Level (16-18 year old) Computing and Computer Science curriculum. In particular it targets the increased mathematical content of the new A Level Computer Science to be introduced in 2015. However, it can be easily customised for other levels or content.

Has toolbar tabs for Operators, Arrows, Boolean logic, Set theory, Assembly language (using the Little Man Computer LMC instruction set), Fetch execute register transfer notation and Number theory symbols.

I'll be happy to add other tabs/buttons e.g. for pseudocode syntax or basic SQL, if there is any demand. Always open to constructive suggestions.

I did consider adding these as tabs/buttons to the default Atto Equation editor. However, since many symbols have a different meaning in different contexts e.g. + can represent logical AND in Boolean algebra, I felt it better to have a separate plugin.

Though I hope the Computer science editor may be useful to students and teachers 'as is', the longer- term aim is to build tools that can be used with Moodle Quizzes, STACK etc.

Currently, can be downloaded from GitHub though is also awaiting approval in the Moodle plugins repository.

Be aware that this is the first release candidate. So, although I don't anticipate major issues, do not install on a production Moodle server in the first instance.

Enjoy! wink

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

Re: Computer science equation editor

by Geoffrey Rowland -

...and here are some screenshots of the Computer science equation editor. Note the new 'desktop' icon button for the Computer science equation editor in the Atto toolbar.

Operators

Arrows

Boolean logic

Set theory

Assembly language

Fetch execute register transfer notatio

Number theory

by Geoffrey Rowland -

Finally managed to fix the icons so that there is no longer any need to copy them to the Moodle core pix folder after installation. Checkout the latest version from GitHub.

by Geoffrey Rowland -

The Computer science equation editor is now available from the Moodle plugins directory.

Enjoy!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Geoffrey Rowland -

Now updated to include the asynchronous ajax usability fix for (MDL-45867), courtesy of Daniel Thies.

by Geoffrey Rowland -
I have gone through a number of uninstall reinstall cycles on Moodle 2.7 without issue. So, have now designated the Atto Computer science editor as a Stable release (v2.7-1) in the Moodle plugins repository or GitHub (271 branch).