Atto problem - inserting links and equations in firefox

Atto problem - inserting links and equations in firefox

by Bernd Albers -
Number of replies: 3

I have searched the forums and the tracker, but I have not found this exact problem anywhere.

In Moodle 2.7.2 and Firefox (not in Chrome / I.E not tested)

I have a passage of text. In this text I want to insert a link with the link-button. This works fine for the first link. Then when I select a second textpassage and press the link-button again it contains the first inserted Url. I can insert the new url but this url then will be applied to the first selected textpassage, the second selected textpassage stays unlinked.

Something similar happens when I insert an equation with the equation-editor.

The first insert goes fine, but when I open the equation-editor again to insert a second equation it often contains the first equation and I can only change that one and not insert a second one in a different part of the text.

This makes it almost impossible to insert links or equations in atto in firefox. It seems to work fine in Chrome, I have not tested it in Internetexplorer.

Can you confirm this behavior? If so, it should be entered as a bug in the tracker.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bernd Albers

Re: Atto problem - inserting links and equations in firefox

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

For whatever reason, this behaviour is found in a label, I understand. While I suspect this is bizarre of itself, the logic must be something along the lines of "we don't want people using labels in course pages to give up links to other things when there is a HTML block that is accessible, or course resources or activities better suited to those purposes". 

So am I right in thinking you are editing a label? 

Outside of that, if it is not a label, if this is happening in a resource, then this is somewhat browser specific so you may want to go to the Moodle Tracker and report it as a bug. 

Sorry I can't be much more help, Bernd, but  good luck.

In reply to Bernd Albers

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Bernd

I just tried this on our sandbox site demo.moodle.net using Firefox 26 for Ubuntu and I don't have a problem with adding more than one link to a label. When I select the second bit of text to make the link, Firefox does suggest to me the URL of the first website but I ignore it and type in my own. Perhaps you could (a) try on the sandbox in the way you try on your own Moodle and see if you have the same problem and (b) make a screencast or tell us in detail step by step how you are adding your links so we see if it is different from how I did it?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Bernd Albers -

Thanks both of you for your replies.

I had experienced this behaviour several times when creating forum posts.

Now just an hour ago my Firefox has updated to 32.0.2 on Windows 7 and I cannot replicate the behaviour. Neither in your sandbox nor in my Moodle.

So maybe it was a Firefox problem that was just solved by this update.

I'll post here again if it happens again.