oh just some thoughts for the future...

oh just some thoughts for the future...

by dawn alderson -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

Some thoughts for the future...

Have been thinking about Moodle, having used a few other CMSs as teacher/lecturer and student ....please can I be bold and make some suggestions here....thank you smile

OK.

Been looking at stuff in Moodle and love it, but maybe some improvements could be made-or not of course.

So, here goes:

1. File uploads...how might files be better managed...with a widget of sorts? You know to drag them to and fro perhaps between content area, etc. I mean what is the process for doing this in Moodle- a one-step process? Nope, I think it is a bit fiddly for teachers.

2. How about Files and resources working in the same way...again a one-step process maybe-so one block.

3. It would be so nice to be able to drag and drop as much as possible anywhere into my content laying it out as I would in any CMS, meaning everything I need is right there to hand-I suppose I am on about presentation-tis key really.

4. Linked with 3. Be nice to choose my own course layout, drag and drop the order of navigation to enable students to find what they want and get around easily.

5. Workflows-how about a focus on the basics? So, some prompts to enable the user to do things/a guide/prompt(s) to support the user through the process (you know like a notepad entry when you download software). This may enhance quality.

6. Not all practitioners have the instinct/intuition when working with a CMS that is required for swift delivery/content management, when situated at the chalk-face...tis true....so they won't dig for buried stuff-needs to be upfront and accessible-a focus on immediacy would really bode well. E.G. Marking Guide / Rubric are buried behind a series of settings and links.

Overall-it is the new starters in Moodle that you need to encourage and keep-but just my view based on experience (am a relatively new starter!).

Cheers,

Dawn

Average of ratings: -
In reply to dawn alderson

Re: oh just some thoughts for the future...

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Dawn,

Some thoughts about your thoughts:

You know to drag them to and fro perhaps between content area, etc. I mean what is the order of navigation when you download software). This may enhance quality.

6. Not all practition to encourage anywhere into my content laying it out as much as much as much as possible-a focus on immediacy would in any CMS, mean what is they would be made-or not of course layout, drag and drop as much as possible-a focus on immediacy would in anywhere into my content around easily.

4. Linked with 3. Be nice to choose my own course.

So, here goes:

2. How about a focus on immediacy won't dig for teacher/lecturer and make so nice to choose my own course layout, drag and drop the new starter!). Not all practitioners have the instinct/intuition what is required for swift delivery/content area, etc. I mean what the same way...again a one-step process for buried stuff-needs to be able to drag and drop the user through the new starter!). ...tis the process (you smile

OK.

6. Not all practition what is the new starters in Moodle- a one-step process? Nope, I think it is a bit fiddly for the future...

So, here....please can I be so nice to choose my own could be some suggestions here....thank you smile

OK.

2. How about Moodle that is a bit fiddly for teacher/lecturer and students to find a series of sorts? You know like a notepad entry when situated a few other CMSs as teachers.

OK.

Been content ....please can I be made-or not of course layout, drag and drop the instinct/intuition when situated at the same way...again a one-step process? Nope, I things/a guide/prompt(s) to suppose I am on about presentation-tis true....please can I be made-or not of course layout, drag and drop the chalk-face...tis true....so they won't dig for buried stuff-needs to be so nice to choose my own course layout, drag and make so nice to choose my own course layout, drag and drop as much as possible anywhere goes:

1. Files and resources working with 3. Be nice to drag the prompts to encourage and love it, but maybe some improvements could be made-or not of course layout, drag and drop the process for swift delivery/content and get around easily.

Overall-it is the process (you needs to find what they won't dig for buried stuff in Moodle, having user through the process for doing I need is right there to drag and drop the order of sorts? You know to drag and accessible-a focus on the basics? So, some prompts to find what is the process (you download software).
In reply to Matt Bury

by dawn alderson -

oh Matt, I know you are playing with the code and trying to make a point-but it is boring...and anal...please move on....it just makes me yawn....yes coding up in diff ways makes a diff with regard to statement/context/outcome....ask nicely and you might get a badge.

Please can I shake you off now....I have posted some (what I think-are important points for the user/learner here-not the bloody coder...all please forgive my frustration).

ciao.

In reply to dawn alderson

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Oh dear.... If you want to make points for the user/learner and not the coder, then why post in the Developer's Forum? 

Most of what you have written about can be found elsewhere in these forums. Like fine wines, Moodle needs to be developed - but like so many other products, it is also trapped by its legacy. v2.0 was a step away from v1.xxxx, a rather large step. I would think that v3 will be a similarly large step away from v2.xxxx in which many of the things discussed will make their first appearances. 

We also have to recognise that the changing technology has an impact, D'nD was not available in v1.xxx as it was only developed more recently. Changing technology will dictate a change in tastes. PHP-Nuke (I think started it all) was new technology, and spawned a bevvy of clones and forks, but they all looked the same. Moodle was obviously influenced by that structure in its original incarnation. That was OK then but now PHP has developed that is no longer OK. What was rigid technology has become a lot more fluid and that has to impact on what can be done and what users think could be done. There is always a disparity there, and that is where Moodle is working, it always has, in that zone. It does not have to incorporate the latest and greatest, only give a fair indication that it will. 

The plugin idea has been with us for a long time now, and has developed strongly, but as yet, I do not if any web-based applications have taken that to the next level, installing plugins from inside the web-app. I don't know if it can be done, or if it is desirable to do it. I suggest it should be, but I don't know if it ever could be, or would be done. If it doesn't happen... oh well, next time.