LDAPs bind fails

LDAPs bind fails

by Rafael Rocha -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

I've been doing all kind of troubleshooting around ldaps connection, and came to a point where I can only believe it's something in moodle that's breaking my setup.

Had a 1.9 install working all good, password changing and ldaps logins all are OK.
Installed a new server with 2.7, ldap works, but as soon as I switch to ldaps everything breaks.

Turning ldap logging all the way up on the DCs I got to the error behind the fails: "The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted"

Thing is, this error only comes up when the connection is made from Moodle. If i use ldp or any other ldap tool from the same server, I can connect and bind to the server.

I compared what certs are installed on the server and on the DC. Our enterprise PKI is properly deployed so the needed certs are trusted by every domain joined computer.

Is there anything I'm missing about adding the certificates to a user or service when running Moodle on IIS with 2008R2? The old server that works had a xampp install on Server 2003.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rafael Rocha

Re: LDAPs bind fails

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

You might need to give the web server a copy of the certificate? As it's IIS not the operating system that's doing the LDAPS interaction

Never had to try doing it so can't explain how, but it's a guess

In reply to Dave Perry

Re: LDAPs bind fails

by Rafael Rocha -

Fixed it by creating c:\openldap\sysconf\ldap.conf with TLS_REQCERT never

It's just a fix and not a solution, but as I'm connecting to my own servers, I do trust them smile