Crowd-funding for Configurable Reports? Some thoughts about the future of the plugin

Crowd-funding for Configurable Reports? Some thoughts about the future of the plugin

by Juan Leyva -
Number of replies: 14
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi all,

During these last days I've been thinking about the future of the plugin. As you may know, Moodle 2.8 will come with a new report builder based on Totara Report Builder. (See https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-30193 for more info)

When the news came out my first thought was to discontinue/deprecate the plugin and create a final version including a tool for migrating reports to the new system. The last comments in the previous tracker link has raise some new points to consider:

- The new report builder will NOT support SQL reports

- There is a lot of people using Configurable Reports (CR) with lots of reports created/contributed

- It seems that the new report builder tool will not suit all the user needs in its first version

Also, my personal and professional position has changed. Until now, I was able to "maintain" the plugin thanks to projects in my former employee and spending some spare/free time but now I don't have time for that.

I was toying with the idea of starting a crowd-funding project to guarantee the maintenance of the plugin during the following year, including upgrades to Moodle 2.8, Moodle 2.9 and bug fixes. 

I was thinking rewards like fixing bugs pointed out by the contributors.

The estimate for a complete year maintenance project is around 3000€ ($3800 approx.)

What do you think? would you be willing to fund it?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Juan Leyva

Re: Crowd-funding for Configurable Reports? Some thoughts about the future of the plugin

by Derek Chirnside -

This may or may not be a good thing Juan.

But I suspect posting here in an obscure little forum may not get a big audience.  I'm not sure what to suggest.

I'll have a think.

Good luck.

-Derek

In reply to Juan Leyva

Re: Crowd-funding for Configurable Reports? Some thoughts about the future of the plugin

by Tomasz Muras -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Translators
I think i is a good idea and definitely worth giving it a shot. See https://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?id=8090 - it's not very popular but maybe it's time to expose it a bit more.

There are surely many companies that do use that functionality and would easily contribute few hundred EUR for maintenance.

You should try that and put information in the visible places - like your plugin main description. Maybe some people would sponsor it if you could add "supported/sponsored by company X" on the plugin page? Just an idea.

Tomek
In reply to Juan Leyva

by Stuart Mealor -

Hi Juan

I've used Configurable Reports for many years, and along with Tim's Ad-hoc SQL Reporting these have been the two "go to" plugins for reporting, and we've promoted them to others (clients, at Moots, etc.)

However, I feel that the report builder that's been adopted for core is going to be the tool that 90% of people will use, simply because it is in core.

I think the whole area of logs and reporting is not yet right, but maybe it will get better over the next few releases.

If enough people feel that CF is able to offer something valuable, and it can do things better or different to the basic functionality of the in-built report builder, then HRDNZ might consider sponsoring the ongoing development of this - as long as we can clearly show our sponsorship.

Stu

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Juan,

I've spent time with the Report builder in Totara with several projects over the last year, so I am familiar with what it can do. I'd agree with what Stuart said: it will cover what most people ask for in reports and do a fine job, even if not all the advanced features it has will make it to core at first. It's already a rich and mature tool.

Clearly people who are now using CR for the user/course/category type reports will be able to replicate those in the new Report builder, if not right away, then eventually by rebuilding them. I think a bridge converter from CR to Report builder would be very useful thing , but those who do have a lot of standard reports now in CR should raise their voices to be heard on this issue if they want to continue CR for a while until they can convert over.

Since the OU Ad-Hoc plugin handles only SQL and already has good scheduling abilities, it can continue to fill in that gap which the Report builder will not have. Though I work a lot in CR, I happily use AD when I need the scheduling and email notices.  Almost all my client reporting work, though, is with direct SQL, not the standard type reports. So, although I really enjoy CR and have promoted it whenever I can, if it was discontinued, AD would continue to serve most of my SQL reporting needs.  (I suspect I am not in the majority situation though.)

Randy

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Steven Swanson -

I can't live without the report features. I'd love to support the project.

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Well,

it seems that finally the report builder will not be available for Moodle 2.8 so I'm thinking in starting a crowdfunding project in order to upgrade the plugin to 2.8 and fix the most voted bugs in the tracker

Cheers, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Steven Swanson -
Let us know when you start the crowdfunding project site.
In reply to Juan Leyva

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I have no real objection to making OU Ad-Hoc plugin available to teachers in a course somhow, providing it can be done in a way that does not mess up the code too much.

If someone is interested in trying to implement that, please contact me (e.g. by posting in this thread) with an outline of how you think it could be made to work.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Elizabeth Dalton -

The approach we've taken so far is to work on adding the scheduling features of the Ad-Hoc plugin to Configurable Reports, but if it makes more sense to go the other way, that would be fine. Overall, the ability to control access to the reports by role (beyond just the single "Report user" role that grants access to all reports) is critical. CR provides some interesting ways for users to build reports using a form-based interface, but we don't use that as much, and I suppose the solution that will eventually be included in Core may take over that functionality.

CR provides its own display block, but that's probably not critical, since everyone gets the Administration block in some form or another.

The other feature I appreciate in CR is the ability to import contributed reports from a repository. If we were going to make Ad-Hoc Reporting a more general-purpose tool, this could be a helpful addition.

In reply to Juan Leyva

by José Miguel Andonegi -

Hi Juan:

I love CR. I encourage you to go on with manteinance and crowdfunding.

Cheers!

In reply to Juan Leyva

by José Miguel Andonegi -

Hi Juan:

I love CR. I encourage you to go on with manteinance and crowdfunding.

Cheers!

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Elizabeth Dalton -

We depend on Configurable Reports, to the extent that we have a developer working on adding features (scheduling), hopefully to be rolled back into the main branch. We would be willing to help fund further development, I think. Please continue to develop and support CR!

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Juan Leyva -

Hello again,

since I maintain different add-ons (configurable reports, jmail and the LTI Provider plugin), Joseph Thibault (Moodlenews.com and Moodlegarage.com) has created a survey for getting feedback on the different projects you may support.

Survey link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1gPfnM9-m_35VeDCoCAg3jA1yHhGuLuI2w7bCSJLfQwU/viewform