Can students select a group for self-enrolment?

Can students select a group for self-enrolment?

by Nicholas Bovee -
Number of replies: 2

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

PROBLEM:

Student A is currently enrolled in Course 1, Group Red. I want Student A to self-enrol into Course 1, Group Green (same course, different group). Student A would then be enrolled in 2 groups within a single course.

It seems there is no way to get Moodle to prompt a student for an enrolment key for any given course once that student is already enrolled in the course. Is this correct?

Any recommendations?

My question is similar to this one posted at the end of August:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=268274

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nicholas Bovee

Re: Can students select a group for self-enrolment?

by Nicholas Bovee -

The method I have settled on is to use an empty metacourse as a "gateway" into the target course. The target course is set up a child course of the metacourse.

I set up the proper groups and group enrolment keys in the metacourse so that once students enrol, their accounts are automatically enrolled in the target course I want them to be in.

However, metacourses do not transfer groups, which is a huge problem.

But, this amazing plugin actually pulls the group information from the metacourse into the child course. It totally saved the day! So awesome.

Now I can set up any number of courses, each with any number of groups, and students can simply enter a single enrolment key one time and automatically get enrolled in all of the appropriate courses and the appropriate groups within those courses. Wow.

The only small issue is that the metacourse, which is empty of content, remains on the course listing page. I think the best thing to do is to make it a single activity course with a message and/or links to the actual courses.

Anyway, huge props to Paul Holden for writing this incredibly useful plugin.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Nicholas Bovee

Re: Can students select a group for self-enrolment?

by Paul Holden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Thanks Nicholas, I'm glad the plugin was useful approve