Profile pictures black border looks "mortuary"

Profile pictures black border looks "mortuary"

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

After a couple of weeks away from the Moodle forums I suddenly notice that participants' pictures are surrounded by a black frame which looks thicker than before. To me, this thick black frame has an unpleasant "mortuary" look (1).

Is this a new feature or maybe I had not noticed it before? On the other hand, the default smiley face is displayed with what I seem to remember was the former thin black frame, which looks OK to me (2).

Of course, the thick black frame is more noticeable around lighter pictures... However, I'd be curious to know how fellow moodlers feel on this issue and see if we can gather enough voices to file it as a bug/wish...

Joseph

Attachment moodleBug09.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Profile pictures black border looks "mortuary"

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I think someone tinkered with the themes ...

Urs?  Why change that when the images still have a border?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by David Scotson -

edit: hmm, as I was writing this reply the extra border has disappeared. Anyways, as I was saying...

This is a result of some changes I made in HEAD which I think Urs has committed to stable (at least that is how I assume they turned up on Moodle.org). It seems as if only part of the changes have been transferred across e.g. I uploaded new default images without borders at all which aren't in evidence and there appears to be no CSS applied to the default user images (hence the difference in borders). In fact, looking at the HTML code the CSS classes seems to be different from my code too, though I'm not sure why at the moment.

The basic idea is that having a border embedded into the image isn't as flexible as drawing it with CSS instead. The problem in transition of course is that some images already have borders embedded within them (at upload time) so drawing a second border with CSS is overkill.

This obviously isn't a problem for new installations, but there are also several things that could be done to ease the transition for established sites where many images have already been uploaded and had a border added.

• ask people to re-upload their user images (the HEAD image upload script no longer adds borders)

• run a script that replaces the current black borders with a mid-light grey border or resizes the images so that they are 2 pixels larger in height and width (though both these scripts will cause a generation loss as it involves creating a new jpeg and resizing might look odd, probably needs practical testing to see which looks best)

• replace the black border in the CSS with a mid-grey. Older images will still have a thicker border, but it won't be as thick as 2px of black and newer images will have a thinner border. (Which I happen to think is better as the thinner black border is, in my opinion, quite visually brutal, even when only 1px thick.)

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers

Sorry for the confusion. There is a longer discussion in the bugtracker about this topic and some confusion involved.

From this procedure I learned to be more careful and not to change anything when the involved persons do not respond to questions. Please do not get this wrong, it is not meant as an allegation to anybody.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sorry, I only found bug 3627 after writing my post ... now I can see better how this came about.

In any case, we do need to have a better upgrade strategy for this, and such changes should be restricted to HEAD at most, and not in STABLE. Personally I would prefer to resize all the old images automatically.

I've written more in the bug report.