Cross-Course Activity reporting

Cross-Course Activity reporting

by Frances Angulo -
Number of replies: 3

I'd like to see a student's progress across all of their enrolled courses- is this possible?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frances Angulo

Re: Cross-Course Activity reporting

by Deepak G -

I have the same query. Any help would be great.

In reply to Frances Angulo

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

It really depends on what information you want.  You can click on a course the person is enrolled in and go to the gradebook.  In the grade book, click Overview Report.  Choose the user's name and you can get a list of all the courses they are enrolled in and their current grade.  It isn't much information but it's something.  I don't know of a way to get to this report outside of a specific course.

Back when I still used 1.9, I think the overview might have been available in user profiles.  We actually made a copy of the overview report and hacked it add detail and then linked it to user profiles. 

Now, in 2.5, we use Configurable Reports and that is less core hacking and, honestly, simpler, if you can get your head around SQL or have someone who can.  We use several third-party plug-ins and I have reports that detail number of activities (though the report I have doesn't view Feedback as an activity, for some reason...I suspect it is because feedback doesn't report to the grade book.  I haven't looked at it and haven't tried to think of another way.) and number completed and whether they are finished or not, based on course completion settings.  The simplest ones I actually got from people on the Configurable Reports forms. 

I've got more complicated ones that I built with help that look at non-completion or in one case, two reports that work together...the first pulls everyone in a specific institution and how many hours they've earned with a link to a second report pull's that person's transcript (activities completed, course completed, hours earned)...We have one that allows supervisors to view their staffs' transcripts and lots more. 

The neat thing about configurable reports is you can access the reports and you can set up reports that your users can request for their own tracking (or, as above, tracking employees).

For really complicated reports (those that look at specific activities, dates, instructors), I use crystal reports as well.  Once you have a report, it's simpler and requires less brain to remember where to go to get the info.

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Cam Kinoshita -

Hi Melanie,

It sounds like you have found many of the solutions that I have been looking for, primarily generating reports for cohorts and individuals. I am also looking to combine attendance reports with lesson objectives. Which 3rd party plugins have you found to be helpful?