I think I need to try to explain this better.
I have copied below part of the script from the php file that shows up in the browser instead of the actual HTML page that is trying to display.
So for example the URL is: http://moodle.capilanou.ca/file.php/11141/Hints/Hint-cylinder.htm
but what shows up is the code for a php file:
* This script fetches legacy course files in dataroot directory, it is enabled
* only if course->legacyfiles == 2. DO not link to this file in new code.
* Syntax: file.php/courseid/dir/dir/dir/filename.ext
* file.php/courseid/dir/dir/dir/filename.ext?forcedownload=1 (download instead of inline)
* file.php/courseid/dir (returns index.html from dir)
* Workaround: file.php?file=/courseid/dir/dir/dir/filename.ext
* @package core
* @subpackage file
* @copyright 1999 onwards Martin Dougiamas (http://dougiamas.com)
* @license http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html GNU GPL v3 or later
Re-linking the original file (Hint-cylinder.htm) using the filepicker does work and the file then shows up BUT any previously embedded html files or images and then broken.