Preventing access for instructor role at the activity level

Preventing access for instructor role at the activity level

by Erica Vail -
Number of replies: 2

I would like to create a forum that is strictly for students to chat with other students without the monitoring of the instructor.  Is there a way to close off instructor access to a particular activity inside of a course?  When looking at the role permissions, it does not seem that access can be prevented at the activity level.  When looking at the particular forum, it does not seem that there is a setting to block access for a particular user.  I thought about creating groups for the forum and putting everyone but the instructor in the group, but I think the instructor will have access regardless of whether or not he/she is in the group due to his/her role.  Plus, creating groups for every course just for that one forum is very clunky and will cause confusion.  I am wondering if there is a simple way to accomplish hiding one activity from the instructor role but not from the student role.  Thanks, in advance, for your input.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Erica Vail

Re: Preventing access for instructor role at the activity level

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

In the forum, go to Forum administration -> Permissions, then remove most of the permissions from Teachers. It may be enough to just remove mod/forum:view. You may need to experiment to get the details right.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Preventing access for instructor role at the activity level

by Erica Vail -

Tim, I would like to thank you for offering the solution of adjusting the permissions at the individual activity level.  That worked!  It was actually very easy to do.  One of the permissions is called "View Discussions."  I prevented the teacher role from that permission, and when I logged in as the teacher and clicked on the forum I received a message that said, "You do not have permission to view this forum."  That works out very well in accomplishing my intended goal.  Thank you, Tim!