Searching glossary by special character

Searching glossary by special character

av Bec Adamson -
Antall svar: 4

Staff within our organisation have begun to compile glossary compilations of terms that function as English to special character translation tool via auto-linking within the course. 

An entry will be titled 狗 and the text of the entry will be 'dog' with an embedded mp3 that states the word (this gives an in-line translation tool for students that need support). 

When 狗 is auto-linked in the course the entry of dog, and the mp3 in the pop-up are fine but if the student searches the glossary itself 狗 returns nothing. I have attempted to add the special character to the entry itself, and also as a keyword - search never locates the entry.

Is this expected behaviour?

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering: -
Som svar til Bec Adamson

Re: Searching glossary by special character

av Joseph Rézeau -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Plugin developers Bilde av Testers Bilde av Translators

Hi Bec,

You do not say but from the look of it I expect those "special characters" are Chinese (or Japanese?) characters. I'm afraid it's not so easy for someone not familiar with those characters to test things out and answer your question.

Joseph

Som svar til Joseph Rézeau

av Bec Adamson -

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your reply.

The example given above is Chinese, however the issue also occurs with the @ symbol and other special characters so testing could be done by reproducing using that in place of a non-roman alphabet.

I've attached an xml export of the glossary if that helps. I'm running Moodle 2.54 on a mysql  DB.

Bec

Som svar til Bec Adamson

av Joseph Rézeau -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Plugin developers Bilde av Testers Bilde av Translators

Hi Bec,

Actually, the problem is not linked to non-roman characters. The Search function in glossary does return any results for an entry consisting of only one character, whatever that character is.

Experiment: new entry "a", definition "first letter of the alphabet". Search glossary for "a", search return: empty!

I expect this is by design, but it also looks like a bug. I will enquire some more and open an issue in the bug tracker.

Joseph