Individual wiki where students can view one another's

Individual wiki where students can view one another's

by Joe Amatrucola -
Number of replies: 4

Hello

I have done extensive research and testing, but I can't seem to figure this out.  I would like to create a wiki where each student in the course has his own set of pages within the wiki, and where each student can see the other students' wikis.  My research has resulted in conflicting facts.  This page essentially makes it seem like it's not possible to do this.  However, I've found other posts (here and here) that indicate that indicate that if I create it as an individual wiki, and set the group mode to "Visible Groups" then: "Every student has their own wiki, which only they and their teacher can edit. Students can view the wikis of all other students in the course." which is what I would like to do.

I tried this second method, creating it as an individual wiki with a group mode of Visible Groups, However, the student is able to create content once on his first page, and then has no more ability to edit his wiki.  The edit tab isn't there at the top.  He sees a drop-down menu for the other students' wikis, and can see them, but he has no edit ability on his own wiki.  The teacher can edit all wikis.

Any advice or insight one can provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Joe Amatrucola

Moodle 2.6.1+ (Build: 20140131)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joe Amatrucola

Re: Individual wiki where students can view one another's

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You have set the wiki  to visible group mode but are your students in the groups (in Course administration>Users>Groups) ? 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joe Amatrucola -

Thanks.  No, they are not in groups.  In my scenario, what groups would I create and who would be in those groups?  I would like each student to have his own wiki, so that only the student and teacher can edit the wiki, but every student can see the wiki.  Does that mean I need to create a group for each student, and then add just one member to each group?

In reply to Joe Amatrucola

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I think if you are going to use visible group mode for your wiki then yes, you would need to put your students into groups so they can edit their wikis; otherwise they can just see but not edit. (You could try on the sandbox site demo.moodle.net)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joe Amatrucola -
Understood.  I'll give it a shot.  Thanks.