Category enrollment vs. cohort sync

Re: Category enrollment vs. cohort sync

by Jerome Di Pietro -
Number of replies: 0

Hi William,

Thanks for these really useful diagrams.

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I'm trying to get my head around the difference between using Cohort Sync and Meta Links between courses. 

In your example, why do you not just add the appropriate cohort(s) to the Year course(s)? Would the result not be the same?

On our Moodle, finding courses on the MetaLinks selection page is incredibly laborious (you have to scroll through hundreds of courses and find the one you want) it's much easier to select a cohort instead. I'm just wondering if there are any disadvantages.

Any help or advice, much appreciated.

ps. Am I right in saying that what's being referred to here as 'Category enrolment' (to give top level admin and bosses access from the category level down into multiple child courses) isn't really an enrolment at all? it gives these users access as 'other users' (i.e. assign them roles at the category level so that permissions permeate down into sub categories and courses) but it doesn't actually enrol them on the child courses, so that they don't receive email notifications, for example, of posts in the news forum. This is why it doesn't make sense to add students at the category level, they need to be actively enrolled at the course level.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)