script for the "self enrollment" box on the page 'enrol/index.php'

script for the "self enrollment" box on the page 'enrol/index.php'

by Wendi Daniels -
Number of replies: 18

Where do I find the code for that box? I want to silence it.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wendi Daniels

Re: script for the "self enrollment" box on the page 'enrol/index.php'

by Jez H -

What do you mean by silence it?

If you dont want self enrolment you can turn off the self enrolment type and use a different enrolment method (course settings > users > enrolment methods)

If you want to enrol without clicking the button I think you would need to do more than hide the button.

If you can enrol by some other means users will never see that page, they will go into the course.

If you are trying to limit who can access the course you can add an enrolment key / password to the self enrolment type.

In reply to Jez H

by Wendi Daniels -

Alright, so I turned off "self-enrollment" (what I mean by that is that I went to site administration>plugins>enrolment>manage plugins and I clicked the icon that deactivates the "self enrollment" plugin and greys it out).

Paypal is activated, by the very same path, only it is activated.

With that, I still am not able to enroll as a student. When I log in as a student, I click on the course to enroll, and the page says, "you can not enroll yourself in this course"

When I move Paypal to the top of the list in "manage enrollment methods", with the only other activated method is manual enrollments, it now just automatically enrolls the student, without paypal. When I remove "manual enrollments" altogether, it does the same thing (that is, the student is automatically enrolled without the use of paypal).

Paypal was working before I disabled self-enrollment, and I think I have everything configured correctly, but obviously I am missing something. Please advise...

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

But what do you have in your actual course enrolment settings?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Wendi Daniels -

Mary,

Do you mean within the individual course, or do you mean in Paypal enrollment, or do you mean something else? Would you give me a map to get to where you are talking about? (site administration>(next step)>(next step).....)

by Wendi Daniels -

This is so irritating! It was hooked up just fine...except that people could circumvent paying. I got rid of "self-enrollment" and I have everything else seemingly in place. The Paypal logo is by the courses as the student initially enrolls, but then when they click on the course, there is no paypal, and just a message that they cannot enroll in the course! does anyone know how to fix this?!

Re: Enabling Paypal

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Go into the course in question and click Administration>Users>Enrolment methods and then look at the Paypal enrolment method.

(1) Make sure the "eye" icon is open

(2) Click the configuration  icon to display the Paypal enrolment screen and ensure it says "Allow Paypal enrolments" as it describes in the documentation Paypal

by Larry Lippke -

Two major components to implementing Paypal. 

1. Go to Site Administration-->Plugins-->Enrollments-->Manage enroll plugins

Active Paypal using the "eye" icon; then select "Settings".  At this point you are establishing site level parameters.  This includes entering the specific Paypal account collecting the fees and default settings for all courses.  In my case, my default settings are NOT to allow Paypal at the course level, as only 5% of our courses use Paypal.

2. Open the course.  Then from the Course Administration block select:

Course administration-->Users-->Enrollment methods

At this screen add Paypal as an enrollment method, make sure the "eye" icon is open, and then edit the settings.  Within those settings you establish the cost of the course, enrollment duration, etc.

That pretty much takes care of it.  In all our Paypal courses, however, I also implement self-enrollment with an enrollment key.  This allows you to grant "back door" access to the course in case there are people who might need access without paying the fee.  When users now try to enter the course, they encounter a screen showing both enrollment methods.  Whichever one is listed at the top of your course enrollment methods list will show up at the top of the enrollment screen.  People can then either select Paypal to access the course, or enter an enrollment key that you would give them.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Larry Lippke

by Wendi Daniels -

All of this has been done, and I still get the message "you can not enroll in this course" with no Paypal option, even though the Paypal logo is on the courses page next to the title of the course.

In reply to Larry Lippke

by Wendi Daniels -

All of this has been done for a few days, and I still get the message "you can not enroll in this course" with no Paypal option, even though the Paypal logo is on the courses page next to the title of the course.

by Wendi Daniels -

I did recently upgrade from shared hosting to a VPS. It is my best guess that this would not play a role in this, but does someone else think that it might? If so, how would I fix it?

Is there a place where I give (or refuse) new students permission to enroll in a course? I realize I can go into an account of a current student and deny a specific person access, but what about someone who just created an account? Is there a setting where I could deny people in general access to a course?

by Wendi Daniels -

Do I need to have "self-enrollment" activated in order to let the students enroll via Paypal?

by Jez H -

No you should only have paypal activated, unless you want to use an enrollment key as a "back door" as mentioned above, that way users could not bypass payment, they would need the password / key.

I doubt that it is your VPS that caused this.

It may help if you post screen shots of the enrollment settings for your course.

In reply to Jez H

by Wendi Daniels -

Apparently, a screen shot is too big for Moodle. I will have to st(ate the information.

Site administration>plugins>enrollment>manage enroll plugins...

On Paypal, the eye is on and Paypal is indeed activated. Paypal is at the top, and the only other activated enrollment plugins is "manual enrollments"

Site administration>plugins>enrollment>paypal

Paypal business email          (my correct email)

Notify Students                      yes

Notify teachers                       no

Notify admin                           yes

enrollment expiration action          keep user enrolled

Allow paypal enrollments     yes

Enroll cost                               (set up correctly)

Currency                                 (set up correctly)

Default Role Assignment      (set up correctly, and the students have the same role as the default role assignment)

Enrollment duration               0 days (unlimited)

_________________________________________________________________________________

Home>Courses>(specific course)>Users>Enrollment Methods

Paypal is indeed activated, and it is on the top line, with the only other activated method beneath it being "manual enrollments"

____________________________________________________________________________________

Home>Courses>(specific course)>Users>Enrollment Methods>Paypal

Custom Instance Name          (blank)

Allow Paypal enrollments       yes

Enroll cost                                 (set correctly)

currency                                     (set correctly)

Assign role                                  (set up correctly, and the students have the same role as the default role assignment)

Enrollment duration                 0 (unlimited)

Start date                                   (not activated)

end date                                     (not activated)

So, in theory, it should work, but it doesn't. The students cannot log into the course. To pre-emptively answer some questions: I have created a student account from the front end and I have seen for myself that paypal is not there, although the logo appears by the course on the "courses" page at the beginning. The paypal logo used to look slightly different, with horizontal lines on the left side, and now it is lacking those lines. Please do not ask me more about this, as I cannot recreate that initial image of the paypal logo. Just know that it does not look the same.

Is there anyone out there with knowledge about this situation, and how to fix this?

by Wendi Daniels -

I just altered the start date to today, and I still get the message "you can not enroll yourself in this course"

by Wendi Daniels -

Help?

All is hooked up, and I have a Paypal logo, but still I get the message "you can not enroll yourself in this course".  I am wondering if I took that permission away somehow...please let me know what you know about what would cause this message to come up.

by Wendi Daniels -

Seriously...it's been days, and I cannot figure out what the problem is. Everything is hooked up as described a few messages down. Please help...

Re: scriipt for the "self enrollment" box on the page 'enrol/index.php'

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Does it still work when you enable self enrollment?  If so I suggest re enabling it with a password so PayPal works and people can't just randomly get in while you get it figured out.

In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: scriipt for the "self enrollment" box on the page 'enrol/index.php'

by Wendi Daniels -

That's a great temporary fix, but I still want to get rid of that box and fix the problem.