Feature request: quick, simple upload of MP4 video clips with desired size

Feature request: quick, simple upload of MP4 video clips with desired size

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 15

Hello anyone.

At present if you use drag and drop with MP4 video clips, the resulting size of the player seems to be hard coded.

One work around is to change the file extension.  https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=266340#p1152013 Not really a long term solution.

Does someone know enough to submit a patch, or maybe contribute code you use to fix this?  Or maybe contribute something to the tracker questions?

With regards,

-Derek

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Feature request: quick, simple upload of MP4 video clips with desired size

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

GLWTOB...smile 

I am still trying to figure out what file type the Course Settings page will accept as Course Summary files.... and I cannot see why we cannot use that as a course repository. Make a number of things a lot easier. sad

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

What is GLWTOB?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Colin Fraser -

HA!!!! 

Good Luck With That One, Buddy!

Been in use a lot around here lately... 

And what I am trying to get at is that there have been some very interesting developments since the introduction of v2.0, but some really obvious things have just not been followed up - course repositories seemed to have fallen out of favour while external repositories seem to have been cemented in place. Unfortunately, most of those repositories are inaccessible by schools here in Oz for one reason or another. 

Derek is right, an obvious development has been ignored so far, or let go. 

I am getting more and more people here telling me they are not using Moodle as there is too many clicks needed to do simple things. Some things they want to do they can't, simple things are too complicated. These are the things that will kill Moodle, and the Devs do not seem to be paying attention. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Aaron Batty -

Yes, there have been some usability enhancements since the 1.x days, but many of my original gripes about 2.0 are still alive and well in 2.6.

Repositories are a great example. I remember seeing a talk by Martin explaining that most people keep their files in Dropbox or Google Drive or Whatever, so Moodle has moved in that direction... And all of us in the audience looking at each other going, "Huh? What school uses Dropbox?" It would make sense if it worked the way almost everyone assumed it would when they first heard about it: Teachers could use their own Dropbox or whatever as a repository. But when we all realized that this meant that the school itself had to get an account with one of these services, they were turned off on almost everyone's installation. Here in Japan, it would be illegal in many cases to use such a thing.

I just recently realized that the File System Repository is just a folder you put in your moodledata folder. I.e., it's what should be the default anyway, since Moodle is just a webpage, and you should be able to add files via FTP!

With respect to the topic at hand, video, I am really surprised that Moodle standardized on Flowplayer, which requires Flash. Video.js is more versatile and just as libre/free. It is also much more easily customized. One can use the HTML5 video tag in pages and labels, but not in quizzes, etc.--but not MP4 video. MP4 video does not even seem to be fully supported by Moodle, as one has to change the extension to .flv to trick Flowplayer into playing it.

And finally, the new UI with the menus for editing has taken a very click-heavy interface and added one more click to everything, while also obfuscating functionality. I'll never quite figure that one out.

In the meantime, requirements are getting pretty onerous. I'm now hosting my department's server myself, with our own hardware, because campus network services were having trouble meeting the requirements. So now I get to drive down to reboot the server every once in awhile. This seems silly; the core functions of Moodle haven't really changed in 10 years.

I'm having a very hard time keeping my fellow teachers interested. Basically just myself and 2 others use it now; most have sneaked off to things like Edublogs (in violation of Japanese privacy law). Of course Moodle does much, much more than the competition, but most people actually don't need much, much more. The basic functionality of Moodle is some of the hardest stuff to set up and maintain.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Aaron Batty

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

It would make sense if it worked the way almost everyone assumed it would when they first heard about it: Teachers could use their own Dropbox or whatever as a repository.  Well I thought it does work that way?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Colin Fraser -

I originally perceived the repository as being course linked. Schools here do not use encourage the use of Dropbox or any other external repository, so I am not surprised Aaron is unhappy. (In fact, there is a law on the Statutes here that makes it illegal for any governmental agency or department to store any data or information out of the (local semi-autonomous regional) State. The Education Department had to get a special dispensation just to get emails hosted elsewhere.... a very poor decision for a lot of reasons but that is yet another argument lost.) 

Everything has to become more simple or Moodle is going to be losing support... simple as that. Robert Heinlen wrote that technologies go through three distinct phases, Introductory, which is developmental, accident prone, inefficient, mostly simple and accessible. Middle phase, robust, slightly accident prone, far more efficient but of increasing complexity, Mature phase, efficient, simple, safe, secure and reliable. Essentially, first, can this be done, second, this can be done, third, what's to worry about? Which phase is Moodle in do you think?  

In reply to Aaron Batty

by Jez H -

Repositories are very useful. As for drobpox, how many students carry their work on usb sticks vs cloud services? Assignment submission is a great use case for dropbox, particularly where larger files are concerned and students upload speeds are low (in countries which use ADSL). Moodle can pull files down from dropbox rather than users having to upload from their pc.

Not had any issues with flowplayer / mp4 in Moodle on IOS / droid, though we use Kaltura for most of our video.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Derek Chirnside -

big grin Mary, can you add GLWTOB to the acronyms database?

-Derek

by Colin Fraser -

I am pretty sure I already have Derek... unless it is still pending as it is a little frivolous..smile 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Derek Chirnside -

GLWTOB  smile

Is it in the database yet?  Just checking.  I don't think it is too frivolous.  

-Derek

EDIT: Nope, has not landed yet.

by Colin Fraser -

Still pending actually..smile 

So it looks like its GLWTOB!

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Derek Chirnside -

Actually Mary, I have a personal question: in the world of staff personal content creation (like creating a small video clip) how do you suggest they get these files onto Moodle?  ie when you are working with staff in a small workshop or something.

The official Moodle view is probably here with this from Martin which I stumbled on this morning:

Derek, regarding your teacher, if there's a lot of files to upload then the best way is to zip them all first, upload to "private files" or an external repository, unzip, and only then start inserting them into content. Since the file picker defaults to the last selected repository it's fairly fast.

<snip>

2) Uploading files from a desktop is not the main way people will do things in the future ... files and media are more and more going to be on other servers in various repositories. 

<snip>  https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-19075

So Moodle has moved into the direction of "Upload to repositories" then "find" then "choose".  This handles the case of "lots of files" (although zipping for some people is still a challenge) but does not handle the question of "often"

I'm planning some work in mid January with about 20 staff members and I have been looking at this device:

http://www.canon.co.nz/en-AU/Personal/Products/Cameras-and-Accessories/Digital-Video-Cameras/mini-X

Cheap, records to card, straight to MP4, external mic input, you can SEE yourself if you are doing a small intro etc.  The romantic view is we have a few devices like this and a few card (ie one each) and we just go for it.

Canon NZ have given me the runaround in actually getting one of these in NZ to trial, but there is always the internet to buy from.  smile

• We have looked at smart phones: some need a cable to download, but a synching option may be a possibility, then select from the cloud.
  • Another option is the email to forum route - I have completely changed my view on this.  Just (1) take the clip, (2) email to forum, (3) done.  

-Derek

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Derek,

The way I've handled "lot's of files to upload" is by setting up a My Private Files block in the course. Each student can then put their files in their copy of the block. When they have it open for working with the files, they can drag and drop a bunch at once. I've never be brave enough to try more than 6 videos at once.

For files that we need to share, the teacher adds a resource folder. Everyone can see the files in it, but only the teacher can upload. It allows for multiple drag and drop at the same time, also.

Oops class is starting, gotta go.

AL

by Jez H -
I think the size would be controlled by the filter, if you can find it it will be editable, there is a filter(s) directory in Moodles code base.

The way filters work is to parse content looking for things like urls (which ic can turn into links), mp3 / 4 which it wraps players around, so its a central function / feature.