is MySQL 5.5 Ok for Moodle 1.9

is MySQL 5.5 Ok for Moodle 1.9

by Bernat Martinez -
Number of replies: 6

We are still using M1.9 with PHP 5.2 and MySQL 5.1 . Our server provider(hostgator) has suggested to update to MySQL 5.5

My question is if it is safe (and recommended) to do such update  for M1.9.

Another question is about the recommended procedure for  database backup. 

To make a backup every day as for courses? to save a copy outside the server?.....

Thanks in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bernat Martinez

Re: is MySQL 5.5 Ok for Moodle 1.9

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

To point out the obvious, it is not recommended to use Moodle 1.9 wink

I think it is mostly OK. You may hit bugs like MDL-26767, which was only fixed in Moodle 2.x, I think. (MySQL 5.5 became more strict about things like overflow errors when subtracting unsigned ints, and Moodle used to use unsigned ints a lot.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Bernat Martinez -

Thanks, Tim for your answer ( we are happy than MySQL 5.5 won't crash M1) and for remembering we have to upgrade. wink

Anyway we have some reasons not to have yet upgraded . First we have some courses for 10-year-old students and we  find M1 lay out a little bit simpler than M2, I guess we could solve this problem with some customization. But it would take time.

Second , we are more concentrated in updating first the content as our course is full of flash maths animations that doesn't work in tablets. So we are building  such animations in jsxgraph to be embedded them in iframes. And, this is very time-consuming.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I have been upgrading my server fairly regularly, and I now have mySQL 5.5.36 on it.  I have my old install of Moodle 1.9 on this server for historical records, and I don't ever seem to have a problem accessing it.  So Moodle 1.9 + mySQL 5.5 seems to work well.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Bernat Martinez -

Thanks a lot Rick, your info give us confidence to upgrade

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Okay, good luck.  Make sure to have backups of everything, just in case.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Same here. With regular updates I have MySQL 5.5.38 and my Moodle 1.9.19+ for historical records still works fine. In fact, I discovered four tutorials I had never gotten around to transferring on it today, and I just moved them to my current Moodle 2.7.1+.