Skype conference calls ....

Re: Skype conference calls ....

by W Page -
Number of replies: 4

Hello All!

Couple of questions.

• Whose computer acted as the "server" for this discussion.  It is my understanding that with vSkype one of the computer actually acts like a server for the other connections. 
    • Is this correct?
    • If It is correct, did the person with the "server" computer have any unforeseen or special problems?
  • Was the group able to use the whiteboard without any problems? [PowerPoint / Drawing?]

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Darren Smith -
Does VSkype have a whiteboard? thoughtful

I know it can do window/application sharing but I didn't see a whiteboard. I am playing again tonight so will look at it then.

I would be interested in the up/down internet speed of whoever was the server.
In reply to W Page

by N Hansen -
Martin was the server. You couldn't get into the chat unless he invited you. He was running the screen capture function showing his browser.
In reply to W Page

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Actually, I believe we were running peer-to-peer, but I can't be sure as there is not much documentation about how it works.  I know it runs over the normal Skype "channel" (but it doesn't use Skype audio).  Most of my bandwidth seemed to be going to one site so perhaps vskype.com was serving us all.  Something to look more into sometime.

vSkype doesn't have a whiteboard, but you can share your screen or any window. This feature worked very well.