This follows a "revoke" method. Instead of granting the Science teachers to edit the science label, and vice versa for Math, you instead prevent the Science teachers from editing all other labels on the front page, and vice versa for your other roles:
- Navigate to Site Admin – Users – Permissions – Define Roles:
Make sure these permissions are set to N/A for the ‘Authenticated User on
Front Page’ role and for the ‘Authenticated User’ role.
- Navigate to Front Page Settings (NOT under Site Admin) – Users – Permissions: verify these same two roles above are not listed under this “Roles with Permissions” column or the “Prohibited” column for the above two listed permissions.
- Navigate to Site Admin – Users – Permissions – Define
Roles: Duplicate the Front Page role for each label you want a group to
edit (i.e. if you want a Math Dept label and a Science Dept lable, then
duplicate that role twice)
• Click Define New Role
• Select “Archetype: Authenticated user on front page” from the drop down & click Continue.
•Give it a Short and Full name:
(ie. Front Page Science Label / userfpsci)
(Front Page Math Label / userfpmath)
• Check of ‘System’ and ‘Activity Module’ under ‘Context where this role may be assigned’ – this way, you can add users to this role system wide and then assign this role to the label activity permissions on the front page
• ADD the following permission: moodle/course:manageactivites
• Click the ‘Create this Role’ button
- Navigate to Site Admin – Users – Permissions – Assign System Roles: add the Science teachers to the Science front page role, and the Math teachers to the math front page role, etc…
- Go to the Front Page and add one label per department. Throw a title in the labels (ie. Science Label / Math Label).
- Click on the ‘Edit’ dropdown for the Science Label and select “Assign Roles” : you should now see Front Page Science Label as a listed role (it may say 0 users with this role for your 2 new roles, but if you click on the role, you’ll see your users are already assigned to it at the system level versus the activity level. You could always set it up so they are assigned at the activity level only, but your 2 new system roles don’t have any additional permissions so you are okay – the next step will take care of this).
- While in the same screen as step 6, click on
“Permissions” in the Label admin block. If this is your Science label,
then remove the following permission for
ALL other groups you made.
• Repeat for the Math label (remove the permission for the Science group).
• If you have any other activities on the Front Page that you don't want these teachers to have editing access to, follow these same steps for the permissions of those individual activities to remove all of the new teacher groups from having the 'manage activity' rights.
- Now, log in as one user from each group and verify they can now edit the front page but for ONLY the label they were assigned to, no other label and no other activity on the front page.