Workaround to limit ONLY "Open attempts are submitted automatically" in quiz setting for teacher role?

Workaround to limit ONLY "Open attempts are submitted automatically" in quiz setting for teacher role?

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Number of replies: 1

Hi Tim and other quiz gurus, how are you doing?

In Moodle 2.4.11 and the latest Moodle 2.7.x, I don't see a way (without touching the codes), to limit quiz settings to only allow "Open attempts are submitted automatically." Did I miss anything? 

What happens is that sometimes teachers change the When time expires setting from default "Open attempts are submitted automatically" to "Attempts must be submitted before time expires, or they are not counted," thinking that this might be a better choice. However, in reality, if a student forgot to submit the quiz before the time expires, then neither the student, the teacher, or even the system admin will be able to submit the answers for that student. It looks like it will require admin to go into the database to modify the quiz attempt table in order to submit it for that student (please correct me if I'm wrong about this, on Moodle 2.4.x and 2.7.x). Because of this, we are considering to limit that quiz setting to only allow "Open attempts are submitted automatically" for the whole Moodle site. Any thoughts or comments about this? Would it be a good idea to add a site setting for admins to determine what "options" would be visible for teachers for the "When time expires" setting (maybe I could create a potential feature ticket in bug tracker)? Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

Re: Workaround to limit ONLY "Open attempts are submitted automatically" in quiz setting for teacher role?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The quiz should adopt the system Damyon did for the Assignment module, where as well as setting the default value for each setting, the admin can also fix certain settings at certain values.

The only reason this has not been done is lack of time.

(Details of what I am talking about in MDL-37621 and MDL-37459.)