Moodle networking as solution for performance problems

Moodle networking as solution for performance problems

by Kristina Ban -
Number of replies: 4

Hi!

I would like to know is that a good idea. I would like to setup One Core Moodle (as IdP and Master), with 4 different instances of Moodle with the same code. On server will be used only for php, caching php with opcache, another one will be for databases (postgresql).

In each one Moodle will be 5000 of users. Is it good idea for making better performance than install one Moodle?

Last time I had problems with quizes performance, and entering courses with a lot of different activities.

What do you think?

Greetings Kristina

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kristina Ban

Re: Moodle networking as solution for performance problems

by Kristina Ban -

Is it true?

"MNet is a mess. It's a proprietary protocol with many known bugs, and no-one want to work on it. For some time we've talked about replacing it with standard protocols."

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-40905

In reply to Kristina Ban

by David Bezemer -

yes it is true, the only reason MNET isn't gone yet is that there are some big Moodle sites using this, Mahara relies on it, and nobody wants to do a rewrite of this functionality.

If you are looking to scale out for performance reasons I would say that there are two better solutions to that:

• Cluster your Moodle hosting (separate webserver/storage/database for scaling)
  • Use a Single Sign On authentication provider for secure user authentication instead.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Bezemer

by Kristina Ban -

Hi David,

thank you for your answer.

Do you know some good, secure Single Sign On authentication service which I could install on my side to integrate multiply Moodles?

In reply to Kristina Ban

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I would suggest that your starting point will be a single point of authentication - e.g. an LDAP service of some sort. Assuming you don't have that already...