Letter grade boundaries! ACK!

cb userpic w harvey
To Aaron, from Wittgenstein. Re: Letter grade boundaries! ACK!
Group Testers
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

So you know not whereof you speak, Aaron. You're new, you say. Some humility is in order. You seem unaware that a major Gradebook overhaul is the top priority for 2.8, and due in October.

Being new, you're less knowledgeable than those of us who are not new. We know the many ways in which Moodle has raced to the top, feature-wise, compared to all the proprietary LMS alternatives. Databases, Quizzes, Books, Glossaries, Forums, Lessons, Blocks, on and on. I suspect you have not used them, or else have not compared them to their alternatives. You would not be so self-righteous in tone if you had. Or perhaps you haven't used them well enough to see your students use the words "Moodle" and "love" in the same sentence. Frequently.

So your Race to the Bottom remark was an act of supreme gracelessness. Other words come to mind as well. Because I've been waging a campaign to bring my school to Moodle for two years because I'm a worse teacher, and my students learn less, without it.

Yet some poor soul may stumble upon your post via search and read your graceless and uninformed rant, mistaking it for the voice of a someone who knows what he's talking about, rather than someone who doesn't know how little he knows.

Further: gratitude and grace--basic constructive civility--are a far cry from slavishness and submission.

And a Gradebook is a far cry from a Learning Management System. You damn Moodle because you can't grade well with it? I praise it because I can't teach nearly as well without it. Which of the two is more important to education I'll leave to you. But please police your pride here. It offends on so many human levels.

The rest of you: thank you for answering and supporting when I need it, and developing this tool into its second decade. I apologize for Aaron's ingratitude. And I can't wait for a better gradebook too--thanks for listening to the suggested improvements and working to implement them.