Site Administor receiving email notifications of quiz attempts

Site Administor receiving email notifications of quiz attempts

by Hannah Symonds -
Number of replies: 13

PLEASE HELP

As the site administer I need to keep informed of all quiz attempts sat. I have read about how teachers can receive emails notifying them when a student has sat a quiz. Is it possible to do this for the site administrator?

I have looked around and still cant seem to work it out. I have managed to find where to allow managers etc but I cant seem to find the role site administrator. I have been thrown into the position and have no idea what I am doing. Please help

Thank you in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hannah Symonds

Re: Site Administor receiving email notifications of quiz attempts

by Derek Chirnside -

You say: "As the site administer I need to keep informed of all quiz attempts sat"

Do you really?  This is usually a teacher role.

If you really really do want to do this, then add yourself to the course with the quizzes in as a Teacher.

Good Luck Hannah.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Hannah Symonds -

Hi Derek,

I control and manage all the exams etc so I pull off all the student results so yes I do need to know which exams are sat etc sorry we have a complicated system here where I work.

Anyways I have enrolled myself as the manager and allowed the manager to receive email notifications regarding exams sat and I am still not receiving emails.

Any other ideas??

Thanks in advance

by John Chisholm -
Did you try logging in and go to edit profile -> messaging and make sure it is enable for that account to receive them?

by Derek Chirnside -
A manager is not a teacher. The permissions are different. Enrolled yourself as a teacher. 

-Derek

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The way administrators get permissions is a bit special, so won't work for the receive quiz notification capabilities.

You will need to make a separate user account, linked to your email address, and use that account to receive the emails using a role.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Hannah Symonds -

Hey Tim,

Thanks for your reply. I have just created a new user and enrolled the new user as a teacher in a course. I have also ensured that the "Get a notification message when an attempt is submitted" is allowed for teachers and I am still not receiving a notification email. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Is there another setting which I am not seeing?

I have gone into Manage Message Output and Email is enabled as well as pop up notification and in the Default Message Outputs emails are also permitted.  

Any ideas with what I am missing sad

by Hannah Symonds -

In addition to the above I have just gone into the teacher profile and clicked on Messaging under My Profile Settings and there doesn't seem to be a Quiz Notification section only assignment notification etc. (see below) would this be causing an issue?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Is cron running?

Do other emails work? E.g. create a test forum, subscribe to it, and make a post there as another use. Does the email come through?

Check permissions in the quiz context.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Hannah Symonds -

Hey Tim,

Sorry I am unsure what cron is...im only very new at this so please bare with me.

I have set up a new course and in that course I set up a test forum. I enrolled myself as a Manager and two  others as Teachers. I just posted to the forum (using the manager account) and neither of the Teachers received an email.

I also had a student ask a question in a forum earlier today and none of the teachers received an email so I would assume emails are not working at all.

In regards to the quiz permission, what exactly are you referring to and where would I find this. Sorry again for this as I am not very good at running Moodle yet...as you can clearly see

Hannah

by Tim Hunt -

Cron is explained here: https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Cron

Moodle needs to do various processing behind the scenes on a regular basis, and this includes email sending, and the 'cron' system is what it uses to manage that.

You can tell if cron is running by going to Site administration -> Notifications. You will see a warning if cron has not run for more than 24 hours.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Hannah Symonds -

Hey Tim,

Yes I have just had a look and Cron doesn't seem to be working. I have absolutely no idea how to set this up. I have read the explanation and still have no idea. Might have to palm this job off to someone else unless its really easy and I am just not getting it.

Thanks heaps for your help at least we have worked out the issue.

Hannah

by Tim Hunt -

I don't think I can explain this better than that docs page. You need to find someone to help you through those instructions. Probably the best place to ask for that sort of help is the Installation help forum.

Getting it set up is a bit of a techncial server admin task, but once it is set up, it should just work and you can forget about it. Good luck smile

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Hannah Symonds -

Hey Tim,

Your help has been fantastic, there was a blue lit link or something in the notification page and when i clicked on it all the emails came through. Not sure why this has occurred but hopefully it is fixed now.

Thanks again so much

Hannah