Enrolling 1 user into a category with many courses

Enrolling 1 user into a category with many courses

by Raymond Culp -
Number of replies: 1

Dear all,

I was recently given the task of enrolling students on a Moodle training platform. The version is 2.6.3.

The training platform has approximately 20 categories, and each category contains multiple courses.

Up till now, a group of people would join at a given point in time and be enrolled together in all available courses. This is easy to accomplish.

Now, however, the company I am working for is beginning to offer training to individual users, who should only be enrolled in and have access to the courses in one of the categories. This is also not always the same category.

I was hoping to find a way to enroll 1 user in a category, including all courses in that category, and I found that there is a plug-in called "Category enrollments".

I also read that this is a legacy plug-in and that "Cohort sync" should be used instead.

However, the documentation states:

Enrolling a cohort in a category
This is not supported by Moodle at the moment.
See MDL-36951 regarding enrolling system cohorts at category level
See Category enrolments where it is recommended that cohort sync be used in preference to category enrolments.

The bottom line is this: I need a way to enroll 1 user into approximately 20 courses in one single category simultaneously. The category and courses will probably be different for the next student. I want to use the existing category structure to do this. I do not want to incur additional costs for my employer by having to spend time reconfiguring the training platform. Creating a group or cohort and adding 1 student to it each time is acceptable, if this means I can enroll that group/cohort in a category with all courses. Can it be done? If so, how? Any feed-back or help is greatly appreciated!

Best regards

Ray Culp

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Raymond Culp

Re: Enrolling 1 user into a category with many courses

by Sandy Stockholm -

Did you get any replies or figure it out? Thanks.