Edit question - save as new question - create two similar versions of a quiz 2.7

Edit question - save as new question - create two similar versions of a quiz 2.7

by Colin Matheson -
Number of replies: 3

It used to be when a question was edited, there were two options, save question and save as a new question. I have a teacher who wants to create two versions of a quiz. He duplicated the quiz and then wanted to edit a few of the questions. However, when he edits the question the only option is to save, which then changes the question in both instances of the quiz. The only way I see to make two slightly different versions is to duplicate each question, then edit the duplicate, then add version 1 of each question to quiz 1 and version 2 of each question to quiz 2.

Any suggestions on improving this workflow, or why the save as anew question went away are appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Colin Matheson

Re: Edit question - save as new question - create two similar versions of a quiz 2.7

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't see a fundamental difference between clicking duplicate before altering values in the form, and clicking 'Save as new question' after altering values in the forum.

'Save as new question' did not replace the question in quiz 2 with the edited question. (unless I am very much confused.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Edit question - save as new question - create two similar versions of a quiz 2.7

by Colin Matheson -

OK I thought in the old interface that if you edited the question in the quiz and saved as a new question, not directly in the question bank, the question in the quiz was swapped out.

That would be functionality/increased usability that some teachers would like.

In reply to Colin Matheson

by Kevin Wiliarty -

A teacher that I work with is finding it easier to create the questions in the Quiz context rather than in the course context. When you choose which category to display for the question bank, you'll see that there's one category at the Quiz level. If you duplicate a Quiz with questions at the Quiz level, the new Quiz will have independent identical questions at its own Quiz level. The category will be labelled according to the original Quiz, which can be confusing (and is a known bug, as Tim has pointed out elsewhere), but the main thing is that you can then edit the new questions without inadvertently altering the originals.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)