New data field sub plugin: latlongGPS

New data field sub plugin: latlongGPS

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Moodlers,

I have created a new sub plugin: data field latlonggps, which is a fork of the core latlong data field + enabling the user to ask for the browser to provide the current GPS geolocation and update the input fields automatically for the user. (+ show a quick preview map using Google maps)

I have opened a tracker for it, in case we like to see it added to the core latlong data field

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-29502

For now, you can also download it directly from:

https://github.com/nadavkav/moodle-mod_datafield_latlonggps

Here is a quick preview:

moodle database data field gps

Viewing...

moodle data field gps

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

Re: New data field sub plugin: latlongGPS

by Dave Balch -

Nice idea smile

Am I right in thinking that the "Update location" button is always enabled?

<plug> In case you haven't seen it, I've put together a first pass at a maps API (MDL-42522), which might (eventually) be a useful companion to this, for anyone who doesn't necessarily want to use Google Maps. </plug>

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dave Balch

Re: New data field sub plugin: latlongGPS

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Dave,

Yes, the update button is always visible and enabled. Clicking it, it updates the input fields of lat and long in the form. by getting the data from the browser. if it support geolocation APIs.

I was not aware of the MDL-42522 and all you development in github, although I was looking for any development in that area before I started my quick experiment. I guess I was using the wrong keywords while searching sad

MDL-42522 seems the best way to move forward with this. you have my vote!