Moving quizzes from BB9 to Moodle - pulling from BB?

Moving quizzes from BB9 to Moodle - pulling from BB?

by megan moran -
Number of replies: 5

I am new to using Moodle.  I've used Blackboard, WebCt and Angel in the past.  This semester I am teaching at school using Blackboard 9 and a school using Moodle and from what I can tell, I think it's Moodle 2.3(?).  My course is complete in BB9.  I would like to move things, specifically the quizzes, from BB9 into Moodle, but I'm not sure how.  I've found documentation for taking a quiz created in a Test Gen software and exporting as BB file to upload to Moodle BUT my tests were created directly in BB.  So I need to figure out how to get them out of there and then into Moodle.  I'm also working on a Mac, which I realizes limits me because most of the testing software I have found is for a PC.  If needed, I can pull out my old dinosaur PC and see if it could handle any of the testgen software.

Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to megan moran

Re: Moving quizzes from BB9 to Moodle - pulling from BB?

by Doug Baleshta -
I have found that using Respondus with the Respondus Extensions on Moodle and Bb works.  You would need your Administrator to add the extensions and then run Respondus on your machine.  It can be a bit tricky getting the software to work with both systems, usernames/passwords etc. 
Doug
In reply to Doug Baleshta

by megan moran -

Thanks!  I was thinking about Respondus, but I don't know if the school I'm at using Moodle has it available for download/supports it.  I guess worst case I could try to get respondus from another institution I am at and use it to download the blackboard exams and try to manipulate them from there to a form I could upload in moodle?

Is there a way to upload each exam - or from what I have been able to find, am I only able to upload individual questions and will still have to recreate each test?

In reply to megan moran

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You can export out of blackboard and into Moodle.  You should not need respondus.  Export the course in IMS format from Blackboard and then import the whole course into Moodle.  It isn't perfect but should get your quizzes and content moved over.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by megan moran -

Thanks.  If I import the whole course, is that going to write over what I already have there?  I spent the day yesterday uploading lectures/slides and setting it up in modules and I would hate to lose all that.

And how do I export in IMS format?  I go into BB, packages export and my options are export or archive (I believe both go to a zip file)

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Doug Baleshta -

Emma, this is interesting.  How are the results from the whole course being implemented as I have several instructors moving from Bb to Moodle.

Thanks

Doug