Large collection of hidden web pages

Large collection of hidden web pages

by Whitney Lowe -
Number of replies: 6

I have a course in Moodle 2.7 and I want to have links to a large collection of web pages. These web pages are being created specifically for the course and I don't want them searched by any search engines. I would like them to stay completely private. I could use a repository to store them, but unfortunately each page needs to have a url so I can link to it from course activities that are being created in Articulate Storyline as well as from Moodle. 

Any idea(s) of the best way to do this? Do any of the repositories give files or web page resources unique URLs?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Whitney Lowe

Re: Large collection of hidden web pages

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If you have a large collection of webpages outside moodle, then couldn't you simply create a folder on your server for them. They will have their own URL which you could link to from within either Moodle or Articulate.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Whitney Lowe -

Yes, it would be easiest to put them on the server, but I was trying to find a way to do this without having them be searched or indexed by search engines because I don't want them accessible to the general public. 

In reply to Whitney Lowe

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Could you use the .htaccess rules for your server to prevent general access to the folder you upload the files in (not an area of expertise for me though smile )

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Whitney Lowe -
I saw a reference to .htaaccess on another site and I don't know anything about it either. Sounds like it might be a viable option. 

Also, someone had suggested that since a large amount of this content is text that maybe I should use Moodle's Book Activity and I could still link to it from the Storyline files as well.

In reply to Whitney Lowe

by Guillermo Madero -

Hello Whitney,

Would it work if you create in the root directory of the pages a .htaccess (dot htaccess) file with the following lines:

Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from yourdomain.com
In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Whitney Lowe -

That may work. I can experiment with it and see if that will work. 

Thanks!