session settings/problem during installation

session settings/problem during installation

by Fabian Schulz -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

I just installed moodle on my local notebook but somehow there are probs with the session-settings:

" Warning: It appears your server does not support sessions (session.save_path = '/tmp') "

I also got these two warnings:

" Warning: Unknown(): open(/tmp\sess_b7e3598b3d448849e8a117803ca2e454, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0 "

and

" Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0 "

I'm not quite sure which file I've to edit ...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fabian Schulz

Re: session settings/problem during installation

by Tom Murdock -
Fabian,
I think this test will determine whether any sessions run:

http://yourserver/moodle/lib/session-test.php

If they aren't running, you'll need to edit your server settings (not a moodle file)...
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Fabian Schulz -

Hi Tom,

thx so far (no sessions running). I'm using Apache2: do you know which file I've to modify?

by Tom Murdock -
This is rookie advice, but I found a similar error/solution in this discussion at devshed:

I think you'll have to fiddle with php.ini and make sure you have created /tmp directories in the right places.

http://forums.devshed.com/t28046/s.html

I hope it helps

Tom

by Dr. Ali Abureesh -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Translators

The best solution for this is to edit php.ini. The problem is a writing permission problem.

To know which part of php.ini to edit, just do the following to know the configration of the php variables.

1- creat a new php file and include in it:

<?
phpinfo();
?>

2- give it a name say info.php

3- put this file in moodle directory.

4- Browse this file in your browser.

5- go to "session" section of the file and see what is on and what is off, especially the cookies section if it is off eidt php.ini to make it on.

I hope it will work.

In reply to Dr. Ali Abureesh

by Fabian Schulz -

Hey guys, thanks a thousand times ...

Sessions are now running: the problem was a wrong path at " session.save_path ". Now it's fixed and sessions are running ...

greetz from south-west africa ...

Fabian

In reply to Dr. Ali Abureesh

by April May -
I am a new user and encountered these problems with saving sessions. But your suggestion to make the test page and check all the values saved the day!! Thanks!