Essential 2.7.5g - Pre-release for testing.

Essential 2.7.5g - Pre-release for testing.

by David Bezemer -
Number of replies: 87

Hello Moodlers,

Please could you test Essential 2.7.5g (Release candidate) before it is officially released and put your comments on this thread.

You can download from: https://github.com/DBezemer/moodle-theme_essential/archive/2.7.5g.zip 

Release notes:

• FIX: Issue #96: 2.7.4 breaks 'oldnavbar' setting.
  • FIX: Issue #98: Lang en/iosicondesc - Change 'them' to 'theme'. Thanks to Skylar Kelty.
  • FIX: Issue #101: Navbar not expanding properly on android mobile and tablet.
  • FIX: Issue #107: No fixed width to header on login page.
  • FIX: Issue #113: Remove FontAwesome from all links in section heading except for the edit icon.
  • FIX: Issue #110: Refactor middle blocks wording, thanks @mkpelletier.
  • FIX: Issue #109: Re-order middle blocks settings, thanks @mkpelletier.
  • FIX: Issue #108: Add similar toggle options to front page content, thanks @mkpelletier.
  • FIX: Issue #67: Refactored so menus are renderer all separately.
  • FIX: Issue #60: Add styling to invisible courses in breadcrumb.
  • FIX: Issue #126: Header logo right border syntax.
  • FIX: Issue #127: Need to guard against uninitialised settings.
  • FIX: Issue #128: Dropdown menu items are invisible when navigation bar text is white.
  • FIX: Correctly show no enrolments message when all courses are hidden.
  • FIX: Reworked header menu and added responsive options to apps/social icons.
  • FIX: Removed dnd upload status as it blocks the edit icons.
  • FIX: Further work on RTL support.
  • FIX: Theme Cleanup milestone completely finished!
  • FIX: Further performance optimalizations using own CSS
  • FIX: Provide fixes for IE8, Essential now largely works with IE8 as expected, but no support is given
  • NEW: Issue #114: Add downgrade instructions. See above.
  • NEW: Removed bootstrapbase dependency for further minification.
  • NEW: Split out alternative theme colours to reduce CSS loading when this is not enabled.
  • NEW: Small tweak to site widths, now available options are 1400px, 1200px and 960px.
  • NEW: Switched to bootstrap all in one for massive speed improvement (from 10 to 1 http request).
  • NEW: Removed option for restricting block width as it was not possible to get this working properly.
  • NEW: Issue #123: Add messages menu from Shoehorn and give it a FaceBook restyle
  • NEW: Issue #14: Add a brand new user menu replacing the Dashboard menu
  • NEW: Automatically collapsing breadcrumb
  • NEW: Updated HTMLshiv
  • NEW: Persistent link to your own grade report, available as long as you are enrolled in one visible course

Regards,
David

P.S. We closed the theme cleanup milestone, so all open items from before are closed. Time for more enhancements!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Bezemer

Re: Essential 2.7.5g - Pre-release for testing.

by Colin Wheelhouse -

David,

Many thanks for the continued work on this theme. I cannot see any category icons however and indeed haven't been able to for several releases. We are using Moodle2.6.3+ (Build: 20140703).

Can I make the suggestion that the ability to add an organisations email address into the Dashboard via a settings option may be a useful feature as per Aardvark. It's not too difficult to do and I don;t mind having a look if I can get my head round GitHub at some point.

Cheers

Colin

No category icons, Essential 2.7.5g

In reply to Colin Wheelhouse

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Colin,

Have you turned on category icons with the setting 'enablecategoryicon' and set the icon you want with the 'defaultcategoryicon' setting?

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Colin Wheelhouse -

Hi Gareth,

Yes I have and I have changed the default icon to see if it makes a difference also. No joysad

Category Settings

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Colin,

Why have you got the hex number 'f04d' when you should have something like 'folder-open'?  Was this value carried forward from an earlier version?

Cheers,

Gareth

by Colin Wheelhouse -

Dear Lord Gareth, 

That is about as Moodle dumb as I have ever been! My sincere apologies. It works fine when I do it properly!

Colin

by Mike Bruns -

I had the exact same behavior.  Must be an issue with an previous release. 

The same fix worked for me.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You need to do a Purge all cache as I bet you are not seeing the changes. Also if it is not too problematic for you I would advocate you turn on Debugging too.

by David Bezemer -

Colin, can you check what value you have in the Default category | defaultcategoryicon config box?

I tested this option thoroughly while working on it, and the only problem I found is that there are no icons displayed if you have entered an invalid value. To test this, please enter the default value into this setting box and save.

Also, when you turn these icons off, you get the original Moodle view back with the collapsible lists.

The menu supports a support link that you can fill in in the Moodle supportpage option (Server > Support contact > supportpage).

by Colin Wheelhouse -

David,

What initially threw me was the fact that it said that the default icon was "folder-open" however this value was not in the config box and I assumed that it was already set. Then I made the mistake of adding in the hex code not the text string for the icon.

Yes the collapsible menus reappear when the setting is turned off.

Colin

by David Bezemer -

Did you also read the comment about the help link?

Will add an option to select either the help link or the email/support email contact.

by Colin Wheelhouse -

Yes thanks, I have been having a play around with it and can't get the link in the dashboard to call the setting that I have got for the email.

I have added new language strings and settings etc "organisationmail" but can't call the url (which is in the config box that I have created on the General settings page) to open in a new window. I know the code needs to go on the core_renderers page but can't get it right.

I really need to learn PHP, maybe one day when school work doesn't consume all my spare time.

Cheers

Colin

by Colin Wheelhouse -

This is my code in core_renderer.php

$branchlabel = '<em><i class="fa fa-envelope"></i>'.get_string('organisationmail','theme_essential').'</em>';

$branchurl =  ('a <href="'.$PAGE->theme->settings->organisationmailurl.'">');

$usermenu   .= html_writer::tag('li',html_writer::link($branchurl, $branchlabel));

This is what's in the essential language file

$string['organisationmail'] = 'Email';

$string['organisationmailurl'] = 'Email URL';

$string['organisationmaildesc'] = 'Enter the URL of your email service. (i.e http://mail.mycollege.ac.uk or http://www.mycollege.edu/mail)';

This is what's in the settings.php

// Email url setting

$name = 'theme_essential/organisationmailurl';

$title = get_string('organisationmailurl','theme_essential');

$description = get_string('organisationmaildesc', 'theme_essential');

$default = '';

$setting = new admin_setting_configtext($name, $title, $description, $default);

$setting->set_updatedcallback('theme_reset_all_caches');

$temp->add($setting);

This is the result when clicking on the link in the dashboard

error

Anybody able to tell me what my error is?

Colin

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

$branchlabel = '<em><i class="fa fa-envelope"></i>'.get_string('organisationmail','theme_essential').'</em>';
$branchurl $PAGE->theme->settings->organisationmailurl; // since this is the link
$usermenu   = html_writer::tag('li',html_writer::link($branchurl, $branchlabel));

the link is made up of (url, content, array( null ))

since you will only be needing the url and the content

then you link needs to look like this...

html_writer::link($branchurl, $branchlabel))

this produces...

<a href="http://yahoo.msil.com">Envelope</a>

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place but...

Why can't I choose my own fonts? There's a dropdown menu with pre-made choices. I even tried to add this in the custom CSS:

* {

font-family: "MYFONT" !important;

}

Yet still I have Open Sans in some places (it overwrites my own fonts!)

Any reason for not making the font field a typable textfield where we can enter our own fonts?

Another request: can we make the breadcrumb above the three main columns? Because the middle column just doesn't provide the space I need sometimes.

Excellent theme by the way, thanks for building this!

In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

by Gareth J Barnard -

RE: Any reason for not making the font field a typable textfield where we can enter our own fonts?

Probably because it was coded that way in the first instance to implement a form of validation where invalid fonts could be restricted and not break the theme.

Create an enhancement issue if you would like: https://github.com/DBezemer/moodle-theme_essential/issues and indeed for the breadcrumb as moving it is not a bug.

by S. Ali -

Thanks again for the great work! It is much appreciated.

2 little things I have noticed thus far:

1. The breadcrumb style does not seem to be taking effect when changed.
  2. The link to the README.txt file is broken as it links to: "Readme.txt"

Regards,

sali

In reply to S. Ali

by Gareth J Barnard -

1. I'm still fixing a few issues with the breadcrumb on alternative styles.
  2. I don't know why as I see 'README.txt' and the code is correct: https://github.com/DBezemer/moodle-theme_essential/blob/master/settings.php#L183

by S. Ali -

Thanks for the quick response.

Perhaps it was updated. The version I downloaded has:

$readme = new moodle_url('/theme/essential/Readme.txt');
    $readme = html_writer::link($readme, 'Readme.txt', array('target' => '_blank'));

I was also having a problem with the Marketing spot height, but I found a post that mentions:

Hi all,

Yes, unfortunately there is still a bug in settings.php. The array on line 732 should read:

$choices = array(50=>'50px', 100=>'100px', 150=>'150px', 200=>'200px', 250=>'250px', 300=>'300px');

Hope this helps,

Ian.

I implemented this (with the relevant line#) and it works. I'm not sure if it needs checking.

Thanks again.

In reply to S. Ali

by Gareth J Barnard -

https://github.com/DBezemer/moodle-theme_essential/issues/134 implemented and fixed but without the 'px' as appended in lib.php.

by Mike Bruns -

The "Readme.txt" was just a case issue, correct?  In unix it's "README.TXT" but the code was looking for "Readme.txt"

In reply to Mike Bruns

by Gareth J Barnard -

The 'Readme.txt' to 'README.txt' has been fixed in 2.7.5g in the code.

by m question -

Thank you so much , Gareth and David,  for your work on Essential theme and thanks especially for the effort you made to support RTL Language

the navigation bar works great in RTL and social icons also the category icons.

however, logo does not move to right when change language to RTL (arabic),  it moves to middle part 

thanks

In reply to m question

by Gareth J Barnard -

There is an ongoing issue with changing language dynamically which might be the cause of this.

by Colin Wheelhouse -

When adding a resource into a course page using the text link "Add an activity or resource" the menu is not appearing properly, see image below.

resource menu

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Colin,

I've raised https://github.com/DBezemer/moodle-theme_essential/issues/137 for the "Add an activity or resource" issue, but cannot replicate.  What web browser are you using please?

Gareth

by Colin Wheelhouse -

Gareth, 

I get the problem in all three browsers I use, Chrome v36.0.1985.125 m, FF 31.0 and IE11.0. I have tried a clean install of the theme with no change also.

Cheers

Colin.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Colin,

Could you post a screen shot of the styles folder please.

And does the issue happen in other themes, such as Clean?

Cheers,

Gareth

by Colin Wheelhouse -

styles

Gareth,

Clean theme is fine.

Colin

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks Colin, that looks fine.  I still cannot replicate even with TDM off.

Could you use developer tools in Chrome like so (right click - inspect element):

And post a screen shot.

by Colin Wheelhouse -

Gareth, as requested. Thanks

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks Colin, please could you click on the div with class="instruction" a few lines above so that CSS shows up on the right and screen shot again.

I notice that you are using the Grid format.  Just tested with it and cannot replicate.

P.S. Is this test server available on the web?

P.P.S I also notice the 'Advance Mindmap' contributed module installed.  Extra contributed plugins bring in a whole new testing dimension and unfortunately it would be impossible to test with them all.  Therefore please remove all other non-core plugins (including my course formats - I only have them because I want to test with them) and see if the problem still happens.  I believe Julian once said that he cannot support the theme with other contributed plugin combinations.

by Colin Wheelhouse -
Sorry Gareth, this isn't a test server and as such is unavailable. Screen shot below.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks Colin,

Ok, for some reason the moodle.css file is corrupted or not picking up the styles that you can see in my screen shot.

Please can you check that you FTP'd the files correctly when uploading to your web server as your web address in the screen shot for the site is running 'Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu)' and the screen shot for the files is FileZilla? so could be a transfer issue.

by Colin Wheelhouse -

Gareth, 

I use WinScp to transfer the files directly to the server, I extract them first on my machine and then upload. I have extracted them using both the Windows "extract" option and using 7 zip. Uploaded files and purged caches and there is no difference either way. The mystery goes on.

I have attached the extracted Moodle.css file, that is uploaded.

-----------------------edit-----------------------------------------------------------

I have also just uploaded the tar.gz version and extracted it directly on the server, purged caches and the result is the same. I'll see if I can track down a conflicting plugin.

Colin

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Colin,

I have a remote external server that I used FileZilla to upload the files to and could not replicate.

Gareth

by Colin Wheelhouse -

It must be an upload issue. I have just installed it on my localhost Moodle and the same happens.

Colin

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Colin,

Upload issue?  You mean us?

Ok, I downloaded a copy of moodle.css from your site and compared it with an extracted version from the zip of the tag on GitHub and they were identical.

Then I thought it could be a Byte Order Mark issue UTF-8_and_BOM so checked in HxD (http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/) but could not see a BOM.  However, to be sure could you make sure that your WinSCP settings for 'text' are:

WinSCP text settings

Thanks,

Gareth

by Colin Wheelhouse -

Not you Gareth, something on my side. Interestingly on my hosting package I've just installed a clean version of  2.7 and all is fine. My localhost version of 2.6.3+ has no mods/plugins installed but doesn't like the theme.

I have just amended the WINSCP settings, deleted the theme and re-uploaded it to no avail.

Thanks for all your help. I'll just have to keep looking.

Colin

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thank you Colin.  Very very useful information.  Please stop digging a moment, as a change was made to import the Moodle LESS CSS files and they were the M2.7 version rather than inheriting and adding styles from Bootstrapbase.  Therefore there very well could be a difference between the core M2.6 and M2.7 styles for that dialog.  So it will work on M2.7 but not on M2.6 - we may have to make two versions.

by Colin Wheelhouse -

Gareth,

I can confirm that on a completely clean install of Moodle 2.6.3+ on my hosting account, with no other plugins loaded AT ALL, the same issue arises. Thanks for all your help. I really like this theme and hope my bug find can be fixed. Cheers

Colin

by Mary Evans -

This is a CSS issue with the dialogue box so looks like the CSS you have in bootstrapbase is corrupt.

Have you Purged all cache lately?

by Colin Wheelhouse -

Okay, I have removed the Advanced Mindmap activity module and it actually makes the issue worse! I don't remember there being an issue with the previous version, maybe i'll roll back the version and see what happens. Cheers Colin.

by m question -

the navigation bar cuts the activity and resource window as in attachment pic

In reply to m question

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks Moodle Question, https://github.com/DBezemer/moodle-theme_essential/issues/140 raised.  But in theory this could affect all contributed and core themes.

Ok, I've tried to replicate and the z-index of the bar is 4030 and the dialog is 12001 so could be a core issue.  Please update your M2.7 to the latest to be sure.

And JavaScript might be broken as the z-index for this is calculated and injected, so please can you report any console errors.

by Christopher Poon -

Is it possible to change the color of the area which contains the logo in this version?

by Mike Bruns -

Much appreciated David:   Newbie problem, received a Invalid Plugin Name.  Screenshot below. 

Attachment 2014-08-13 15_59_09-HealthyVisions_ Administration_ Plugins_ Plugin package validation.jpg
In reply to Mike Bruns

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Mike,

Being pre-release it will not be a zip / gzip file that has been processed on Moodle.org for that install mechanism.  Please extract the files in the archive and read the manual installation instructions in the README.txt file.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Mike Bruns -

Installed perfectly, thanks!

by Mike Bruns -

Thanks for your great work!   2 minor issues:    site is  http://www.esafeteen.org

1)  The caption-text on the slide-show is broken on my side, I tried the options to put it at the bottom, as well as the side.  No change and it overlays the picture.  It used to a be in a box that was a similar size to the picture.

2)  I tried changing the time from 5000 to 8000 ms, the speed decrease didn't seem to take effect.  

I purged all caches and refreshed by browser, no changes

Attachment 2014-08-13 18_34_55-Healthy Visions E-Learning - Internet Explorer C.jpg
In reply to Mike Bruns

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Mike,

There is an option to put at the bottom (which should work) but not the side.

When entering in the speed are you appending with 'ms'?

Cheers,

Gareth

by Mike Bruns -

Hi Gareth, 

I have Slide interval set to 10000 (10 seconds)    Slide caption below image is unchecked.

This shouldn't matter, but theme_essential_Custom CSS is  

------------------------

/* to hide search course button */

#site-index #coursesearch,#site-index #coursesearch2, #coursesearchnavbar, #coursesearch2{

display:none;

}

------------------------

Just resaved and purged all caches again.

In reply to Mike Bruns

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Mike,

I'm not completely sure why this:

/* to hide search course button */

#site-index #coursesearch,#site-index #coursesearch2, #coursesearchnavbar, #coursesearch2{

display:none;

}

exists but at a guess, for FontAwesome substitution.

For the caption to be underneath it needs to be ticked.

The slider time setting should work, but if JavaScript is broken then all fails.  Press F12 and look at the 'console' tab, refresh the page and print screen any errors.

G

by Mike Bruns -

Hi Gareth, 

That code is left-over from a previous release.  I'm removing it for now.   The site-owner didn't want the students to be able to search for a course, just select it from the category menu.  Again, removed for CSS Override for testing.  

I don't see any errors in Chrome, but I do see these errors in IE 

Attachment 2014-08-13 19_40_49-Healthy Visions E-Learning - Internet Explorer.jpg
In reply to Mike Bruns

by Mike Bruns -

Here's the generated HTML code in question:

<a class="left carousel-control" href="#essentialCarousel" data-slide="prev"></span><i class="fa fa-chevron-circle-left"></i></a>

<a class="right carousel-control" href="#essentialCarousel" data-slide="next"></span><i class="fa fa-chevron-circle-right"></i></a>

Attachment 2014-08-13 19_42_38-Healthy Visions E-Learning - Internet Explorer.jpg
In reply to Mike Bruns

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks Mike,

David fixed end tags in: https://github.com/DBezemer/moodle-theme_essential/issues/144 and slider interval in: https://github.com/DBezemer/moodle-theme_essential/issues/142.

Will be in the next release.

by Mike Bruns -

Much appreciated,   Will there be another release before go-live?  I can test more at any-time.  Some of my issues I imagine will be resolved with the end-tag fix.   The caption text is still wide but narrow, rather than square.  Hopefully that will also be resolved with the tag issues.  Let me know if you want me to test more thoroughly there:

Two other differences (again, I haven't used the site since the late spring, was upgrading for the kids to start in 3 weeks, so this timing is perfect).

1)  The Logo appears to be sized incorrectly, much smaller than before.  Our logo itself is 321 x 146 and I thought it was shown full-size.  The debug code is: the code is:

element.style {
}
Attachment Footnote.jpg
In reply to Mike Bruns

by Mike Bruns -

Another very minor bug:

If you expand the list of languages, then hit the down-arrow to collapse, it leaves the list of languages open but shrinks the box 1/2way.  Best way to reproduce is my website:  http://www.esafeteen.org

In reply to Mike Bruns

by Mike Bruns -

Another one:   When you login as guest, you can't log-out.   

The session is authenticated, so the front-page looks fine.  However, the top-right icon is "Log-in" rather than "Log-out" 

In reply to Mike Bruns

by David Bezemer -

I knew I missed something with the guest login, will fix and thanks smile

In reply to Mike Bruns

by Gareth J Barnard -

Interestingly or not (answers on a post-card), moodle.org still says 'Log-in' when logged in as guest and the Clean theme says 'You are currently using guest access (Log in)'.

by Mike Bruns -

Strange.  The Clean-theme version is better, as we allow a subset of courses to be taken as Guest.

In reply to Mike Bruns

by David Bezemer -

not anymore, Essential's solution is awesome ;)

by Mike Bruns -

Just need to get moodle.org to use Essential.    It's got my vote.  big grin

In reply to Mike Bruns

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Mike,

Essential uses jQuery so Moodle.org will never use it.  Very long story.

Gareth

In reply to Mike Bruns

by Gareth J Barnard -

RE: "If you expand the list of languages, then hit the down-arrow to collapse, it leaves the list of languages open but shrinks the box 1/2way."

Can't replicate that one locally but can on your site.  Humm.

There appears to be a max-height when its open, odd, will fix: https://github.com/DBezemer/moodle-theme_essential/issues/145

In reply to Mike Bruns

by David Bezemer -

the problem with the footnote only occurs if you add alignment to the text inside the editor for the footnote.
I will add a class so the footnote always spans the entire footer width just to be sure.

In reply to Mike Bruns

by Gareth J Barnard -

RE: "The Logo appears to be sized incorrectly, much smaller than before.  Our logo itself is 321 x 146 and I thought it was shown full-size."

The original code constrained the logo to a height of 75px: https://github.com/moodleman/moodle-theme_essential/blob/master/style/essential.css#L113 - so a slight change to 65px has been done to tidy up that area.

by Mike Bruns -

OK, I'll resize the JPG on my side.  Must be a scaling issue.   I'd definitely let me know know in the readme, this will cause changes for others.  

A "nice to have" enhancement would be to put recommended and maximum picture sizes as help in the admin panel.   If an admin would see:  "200px Width X 75px Height Recommended" and "500px Width x 75px Height Maximum" it would eliminate a question or two.  

For all places where pictures are an option.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mike Bruns

by Floyd Saner -

+1 on the suggestion to include recommended pic sizes.

In reply to Floyd Saner

by Gareth J Barnard -

Logo description done.  Background image can be any size.  Marketing images are constrained by user select-able drop down.

In reply to Mike Bruns

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks for the offer of testing Mike, please do continue to test.  I don't think there will be another pre-release of 2.7.5 but that's the strategy that I suspect will be used for 2.7.6+.  If you have a non-production test server you can always download / track the master branch: https://github.com/DBezemer/moodle-theme_essential but its never guaranteed to be stable or working.

by Colin Wheelhouse -

In clean installs of both 2.6.3+ and 2.7.1 the "add courses" box on the front page does not disappear when editing is turned off, merely the button goes.

Editing turned on.

editing turned off

Cheers

Colin

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Colin,

Sorry, cannot replicate.

Gareth

by Colin Wheelhouse -

Gareth,

This may now technically be in the wrong forum but as it started here............

I am still getting this with a clean install of the new 2.6.8 on a new moodle (no other add-ons or plugins installed). I have chosen to show nothing on the frontpage in Site Admin> Frontpage > Frontpage Settings, all the drop down boxes for "frontpage" and "frontpage when logged in" are set to none and the "include topic box section" is not checked.

This is driving me mad, I don't see what is causing this.

The theme is great and I as many others do, highly value yours and David's time and expertise. If you can't replicate this error with the settings that I have outlined above then I am at a loss as to what is causing it.

Cheers

Colin

by Mary Evans -

The new release in 2.7.5h which works like a dream in the latest 2,7 Moodle.

If you delete the old Essential theme from the directory and then go to Notifications you get a notice to that says Essential i "Missing from Disk" (pink background) and then overlaid on top of that notice another notice (blue background) inviting you to Install the "New" version of Essential (2.7.5h) direct from the plugin database it is all automatic and works seamlessly.

Try it out as it is great now that David and Gareth have fix most of the bugs.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Colin Wheelhouse -

Mary,

Thanks for the suggestion however I have to use 2.6 (and 2.7.5h is not compatible) as we have some external Moodle integration software which is not yet compatible with 2.7.

I just need to get rid of the content area without it affecting the courses etc, as it makes the frontpage look a real mess. I can comment it out in .css but that removes the backgrounds from the middle column in courses as well.

The " add courses" button disappears when editing is turned off but not the white background of the content area that it is in.

Cheers

Colin

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Colin,

I could not replicate on the M2.7 version.  When I get a chance I'll test on M2.6 with 2.6.8.  I assume 'this' is the 'add courses' background issue as there are so many different issues here.

G

by Colin Wheelhouse -

I really appreciate this Gareth.  It is the add courses issue, my previous post about the add activity or resources menu has been fixed in 2.6.8.

This theme is by far and away the best at making moodle not look like moodle,  whilst at the same time keeping courses looking 'like moodle'.

If you need me to send you details of how I have configured the theme via its settings I can send you screen shots if you message me. 

Thanks again

Colin

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Colin,

I have still not been able to replicate the issue.  The closest I have come is with the following (silly) front page settings:

Silly front page settings.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Colin Wheelhouse -

Gareth,

I prefer when using the Essential theme to not have any of those items displayed on the frontpage because of the fact that the content area does not sit either in the middle as per 3 column layout, or be the same width as a block on the left or right of the page, the aesthetic of it seems unbalanced and spoils the great feature of the 3 columns below the marketing spots. Maybe I just need to rethink how I best layout the frontpage of my Moodle site, as it appears that what you are saying is that this is the correct way that the theme displays. It's just that in other themes by not selecting to show any of these areas on the frontpage, in effect hides that section from view altogether.

I appreciate that you have taken the time to look into this for me though. Please keep up the great work with David on this theme.

Regards

Colin

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Colin,

That looks like a bug when 'side-pre' is empty then the content area should fill the page.  However knowing how things work, it should when editing is off as the space exists as a valid block drop zone when editing is on.  Therefore please turn editing off and see how you go from there with that layout.

Gareth

by Colin Wheelhouse -

Gareth, 

The bottom of my two previous screen shots on this post show what happens with editing off. The content area just remains blank (when nothing is selected to show on the front page) and doesn't fill the width of the page.

It doesn't fill the page If something is selected to show I.e. course search box either. 

Cheers

Colin. 

by Gareth J Barnard -

by Colin Wheelhouse -

Great (in that you can replicate it and I am not going completely doolalay!) Hopefully it's an easy fix. 

Cheers

Colin.  

by Karen Coyle -
I've had a number of issues with whitespace and believe it's a Moodle bug, not a theme one