Drag and drop of video files into a section | Moodle 2.7+

Drag and drop of video files into a section | Moodle 2.7+

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 5

Question 1: size of player

I have a video with dimensions 854X478.

When I drag and drop it onto a section it uploads with a link.

When I click on the link the video player shrinks it.

Is there any way round this?

I have uploaded it to the demo site, the image is attached.

Question 2: default embeds the video . . .

Is there any way to change the default behaviour to use a popup?

Ideally it should detect the size of the video, and make the popop the same as this.

-Derek

Attachment 0 Video size.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Drag and drop of video files into a section | Moodle 2.7+

by Guillermo Madero -

Hello Derek

What type of video format?

Regarding the default behavior, I don't seem to remember seeing a setting for that, maybe it's hard coded.

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Derek Chirnside -

Guillermo, it is an MP4

Tracker request created: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-46762

-Derek

by Guillermo Madero -

Hello Derek,

The video is resized because the MP4 filter calls the Quicktime plugin with a predefined size of 400x315 px:

<object *** width="400" height="315">
<param name="pluginspage" value="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/" />
<param name="src" value="http://localhost/moodle25/pluginfile.php/100/mod_resource/content/0/video.mp4" />

If you rename the file to an FLV extension before uploading, then the video will be processed by Flowplayer.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Derek Chirnside -

OK, thanks Guillermo.

• Any idea why the filter is set up this way??
  • So, there is no immediate work around?  No combination of filters in the admin area I have missed etc??  I'm just looking for a drtag and drop solution to deployment of video.

Why bother with this issue? Here is one view: There is a lot of competition out there in the LMS world. I'd rather not have to say "Oh sorry, if you use a common industry standard video format like MP4, you need to change the extension to .FLV for it to work properly in Moodle"

I've had my eyes opened recently with a trip to Indonesia to do three workshops.  People have a little more experience with other LMS setups I'm finding, and to ask basic questions in the context of a workshop is quite common.  "I had to use system X and it was much better at this" and we are NOT talking about rocket science here.

I still feel like the guy who said "Some people see what is and ask 'why.' Others see what could be and ask 'why not'." [Robert Kennedy]

Am I on a different planet?

-Derek

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Derek,

• Any idea why the filter is set up this way??

Actually, I don't know. Given the tools I had when I began to learn about creating videos and the good results I had back then, MP4 became my favorite video format. In the BM2E (Before Moodle 2 Era) using MP4 videos was almost a natural choice; as a matter of fact, Matt's excellent Media Player plugin was always one of the first plugins I set in a new installation. But then, everything changed in the M2E. I suppose I must have read about the reasons back then, though I don't remember the specifics; however, the end result was that MP4 was suddenly classified as legacy sad

• So, there is no immediate work around?

I just checked (Administration > Appearance > Media embedding) and noticed that there actually two filters for MP4, one under Available players and the other under Legacy media players. You could try and disable the latter.

Maybe with a plugin like:

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_richmedia

I also checked the medialib.php script and in class core_media_player_qt one can see how video size is handled. As we know, hacking code is ugly.

Nowadays I'm not working with any institution and so I don't have to struggle with Moodle as I had to, but at its moment I felt that M 2.x was quite a step backward regarding how arduous it became to do many everyday tasks.