Using Other Users > Manager at the course level

Using Other Users > Manager at the course level

by Tiffany Morgan -
Number of replies: 4

Hi all

On 2.6 here. I have read through the documentation on the manager role here: http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Manager_role which addresses setting the manager role at the site and category level. I am wondering how to assign a user the role of Manager at the course level. 

I assigned this role to a user, then logged in as them and they didn't have access. I thought maybe they also had to be enrolled, but that seemed to run contrary to the documentation stating this role is to give capacity for those who are not formally enrolled in the course. 

I also verified that moodle/course:view is set to allow for the manager role. 

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tiffany Morgan

Re: Using Other Users > Manager at the course level

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

What is the particular reason you need someone to  be assigned as a manager at course level?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tiffany Morgan -

Hi Mary

Couple of reasons:

1. We have teacher mentors who review specific courses/instruction to help our new instructors

2. We have individuals who update content for specific courses

Neither of these are based on categories of courses, at least not how we have our categories currently arranged (by curricular area). 

In 1.9 we used to just assign these individuals as teachers with a hidden assignment at the course level. It looked like this was the way to achieve this in 2.6. I'm open to other ideas/approaches to achieve this! Thanks!

smile

by Robert Brenstein -
I wonder if your problem has something to do with Moodle Manager role being meant as a system role to manage users (or has that changed in the most recent Moodles?). For teacher mentors, you could create a new role based on the non-editing teacher role but with access to any course. For content editors, you could create a new role based on the teacher role disabling anything that allows direct interaction with students and student data.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This should just work, and when I try it a qa.moodle.net, it does.
  1. Go to http://qa.moodle.net/ and log in as manager / test.
  2. Create a new course called 'Roles test'
  3. Add 'Student 3' as a Manager under Other users.
  4. Log in as student3 / test, and try to access the course.

I can.