10 year anniversary

10 year anniversary

by mandy honeyman -
Number of replies: 12

I logged into Moodle today, looking at jobs while listening to NMC On the Horizon webinar, and happened to go to my profile. There is it is black and white, I joined 10 years and 47 days ago! Longer than most of my relationships (not my current one though), certainly my longest technology relationship so far.

I haven't been very active because I got stuck on 1.9.9 with a plesk server several years ago, and this horrible state of affairs ensured that my progress with moodle was at zero. But now I have changed hosts and immediately have a lovely 2.7 install to play with, so I'm back! Hurray.

Average of ratings: Very cool (3)
In reply to mandy honeyman

Re: 10 year anniversary

by Jez H -

TIme flies when your having fun, I have worked with Moodle since 2007, the organisation I work for began pilots in 2003 and started using it productively in 2004, I guess around the time you started.

I have some old screen shots of it at that time, looks quite different to how it is today!

2.7 seems a very good release, we started using it on a live system this week.

Average of ratings: Cool (1)
In reply to Jez H

by mandy honeyman -

I wish I had saved some screenshots! 

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Congratulations Mandy! And everyone who's stuck around the Moodle community all these years.

I joined in 2008 for technical support when I started developing plugins for Moodle 1.8/1.9. Discovering Moodle a couple of years earlier was a welcome change to the other LMS' I'd been using before and so much more appropriate for the kinds of learning a teaching I was doing. Since I started using it, the percentage of new cohorts of learners that are already familiar with Moodle (from using it in other organisations) has grown steadily.

So I guess I've been Moodling for... 7-8 years now?

Interesting challenges and projects, so many possibilities, so much to do!

Happy Moodling!

by Graham Stone -
Picture of Testers

Welcome back Mandy, it's always good to see an old name from the past reappear on these forums there doesn't appear to be many of us 'originals' left anymore (my first access 10 Years and 236 days ago).

I often wonder what happened to everybody, are they still using Moodle or have they moved onto other things?!?  I myself am no longer as active on these forums as i used to be however I have used Moodle continuously in various jobs since October 2003.

If there are any other longtime Moodlers still left it would be great to hear from you.  I remember the very first Moodle moot in Oxford back in 2004 and how we were quite a small group of mainly UK based Moodlers and even though a lot of us didn't know each other or even speak face to face it was good to see all these familiar names on here.

Average of ratings: Very cool (2)
In reply to Graham Stone

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yours was one of the first Moodle names I heard of Mandy, in conjunction with Andy Field at Neal Wade, around 2006 I think, which is where I first got into Moodle. I consider myself a relative newcomer contrasted with some of the people on here.

Average of ratings: Cool (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by mandy honeyman -

Hi Mary, the moodlemooc you presented (with many others) reminded me just how much I enjoy working with this application and all the other moodlers out there smile

I'll never forget the moodle takeover we organised at BETT one year... tiny stand staffed with volunteer Brit moodlers spreading the word!

In reply to Graham Stone

by mandy honeyman -

Hey Graham. ..... Oxford was such fun,  if only all conferences could be like that! I am really excited to be getting getting stuck in again. 

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I propose a 10th anniversary gift for those community members who are still active.

Disclosure: This has nothing to do with my anniversary due in a few months.
smile

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

HI Mandy

Glad to hear that you're still with Moodle. As for me, its been 7 years and counting. Thanks to a fresh version being crafted every 6 months by Moodle HQ and developers, I'm still at it. Hope you ave a great 11th year with Moodle.

Regards
Farnkie Kam