No option to re-size with Atto and 2.7+

2.8 Auto-Save with no Full Screen--Unfortunate. Re: No option to re-size with Atto and 2.7+

by Clay Burell -
Number of replies: 0

Title says it all, but a testimonial of how the Atto decisions are creating problems for my promotion of Moodle as our new LMS might help.

I'm presenting Moodle to full faculty next week, after piloting with a small cohort and 200 students. 

We used TinyMCE for our first user test, in 2.7.2.

Teachers reacted to the online text submission view by saying: "It feels like writing an email."

"Not to worry," I said. "Just click the Full Screen button and it feels like writing on Google Docs."

"Ooh," they said.

"And watch this," I said, and toggled the "More tools" button.

More oohs. "Actually a better user experience than Google Docs, that toolbar," I said. They nodded agreement.

After our 200 students wrote their online essays in Assignment, the big complaint was: "Some lost their work. Google Docs auto-saves. It's better."

"Not to fear," I said. "2.8 has auto-save, coming soon."

So now, when I show them auto-save in 2.8 Atto--without full-screen--they're going to say, "It feels like writing an email. Google Docs is better."

I'm so excited about 2.8. I so appreciate the work done on it. And I so hope I don't have to wait for somebody to create a full-screen plugin. I teach, I don't code. But I do contribute to the community, and I do praise Moodle for all its goodness to all comers.

On this one, though, I'm mystified by the rationale for denying choice of core Atto defaults. I truly hope this is re-considered, and soon. (Along with putting "Draft saved" popup anywhere but lower left of editor.)

Average of ratings: Useful (2)