Can't edit blocks in one course only

Can't edit blocks in one course only

by Peter Ward -
Number of replies: 2

moodle version: 2.6.1+ (Build: 20140123)

essential theme version: 2013120200

We have hidden all blocks on all pages of a course apart from the navigation block.

To do this we simply 'configure the blocks', by selecting 'hide on this page'.

When the course needs editing, then we simply configure the admin block so that it is visible again, make the course edits and then hide the block when finished.

This approach works well but.......

In just one of the courses where this technique is applied, the following is being experienced when logged on as either a teacher or the full moodle administrator:

1. On the course home page, with editing switched on, it is not possible to:

• edit or add any activities or resources
  • 'add another block', configure any visible or hidden blocks, but it is possible to move the position of any block in the left column already on the course home page.

2. When clicking on the icon to edit the block the expected options to either 'configure the block' and to 'assign roles to the block', do not appear.

However when the administrator visits a course page, course lesson, or course quiz, it is possible to configure the blocks as expected.

Note: This problem only exists in one course.

We have moved the course into a new course category (and back again) to see if that could have been the cause but no change.

We think the problem might be related to the essential theme that this one course uses, but we can't switch the admin block on for this course in order to make the course use another theme to test this concept.

Is there a way to reset the blocks back to a default setting, just for that one course? Perhaps through directly accessing the mdl tables? Or are we overlooking something?

Many thanks in advance.

Peter

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Ward

Re: Can't edit blocks in one course only

by Peter Ward -

OK.

So here's what additional information I can add to this problem.

After restoring a duplicate of the problem course, all the configuration settings in the new course are lost.

So I started to reconfigure all the blocks on all the pages in an attempt to see what causes the problem to arise.

An the outcome of my testing is:

I have a single webpage in section 1 of the course. On hiding the admin block on the webpage in section 1 this also causes the admin block on the home page also to become hidden (and causes the activities and resources to become un editable).

Once the problem has arisen, although it is possible to make the admin block visible on the webpage of section 1, this unfortunately does not correct the problem on the course home page. And there doesn't seem to be a way to correct it either.

Hope that helps someone else. I'm off to search for any related problems reported here in the forums.

Peter.

In reply to Peter Ward

Re: Can't edit blocks in one course only

by hugues juillerat -

Hi Peter,

We have the same story. The admin block had disappeared from the course page and it's impossible to restore it. Also the "adding activities or resources" button doesn't work anymore. 

After changing the admin block settings once it seems impossible to restore it to the previous settings and make it displayed throughout the site.

Could anyone HELP please. The choice of having admin block anywhere else expect home page is inactive.

Did you find a way Peter?

Thanks in advance.

Hugues