Numerical Scale and grade calculations

Re: Numerical Scale and grade calculations

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -
Number of replies: 0

As you have probably seen by now, and if I understand how it works, the actual values in a scale have no real bearing on the calculates values.  The first digit in the scale has a value of 0 no matter that you enter. The second is 1 etc....  This because Moodle sees the ordinal value of the digit and not its cardinal value.  It has a lot to do with arrays (but no more on that.).

The only way you can create a scale, for 250 points would be to enter all 250 numbers into a scale and it would be tedious at best to have to scroll through the list to place a grade.  More so, you still cannot issue a 0 as it will show up as 1 point.

I don't believe in the % grading anyway so I issue points.  A full semester can accumulate 2145 points for an A and fewer for B, C,  and my scales reflect this so I can issue points from the look up when grading.  Granted, it would be nice if I could enter a grade instead but I live with this.

This is why I totally ignore the calculations and have a different way of grading. I use points and explanation is not all that easy to implement in Moodle.  I use a different method to populate a scale.

A typical scale for me contains:

NA, 0, 1, 12, 45, 74, 89, 104, 128, 137, 160,  1, NA  

(For this example, ignore the values lost between numbers.  This is just an example.
A grade of 89 will give the system a grade of 7 which it totally useless and a grade of 113 is not possible here.)

In this idea, when you grade a project, you give the number of points that you choose from the list.  NA is useful if you have an entry that to which a grade does not apply.  I always include the 1 for a project that was handed in but cannot be evaluated. The 1 and NA at both ends are useful so you don't have to scroll to the value if it is a long list of numbers.

With this method, of course, you will lose all the value of automated calculation and spontaneous indication of present grade. For me this is not a problem.  I grade by extracting the values to Excel and do a simple cross summation of points and then use a curve to evaluate their work and issue a letter grade.  My logic is that there are few, if any,  places in the real world where you will be evaluated by a percentage.

After some understanding, and argument to prevent any change in the old fashioned K-12 grading system, the students prefer my technique.

Granted, all this is a bit wordy but it has worked for me for 10 years now.  Maybe someday, Moodle will evolve beyond of the percent grading system and allow a point-value method.