evolve-D theme for M2.7

Re: evolve-D theme for M2.7

by Mary Evans -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

All the widths of the columns are fixed in Bootstrap CSS however you can reduce them, but the easiest way is to restrict the outer most container which is #page.

So you could try ...

#page { width: 98%; max-width: 1200px; margin: auto 1%; padding: 0;}

This will ensure that the theme will only extend to be no more than 1200px wide, which on a desktop is not a bad size. I personally like 1024px as a width as the span12 is based on that width of screen. Also the block regions tend to be more or less the same size when your overall width is 1024px wide.  So instead of 1200px you could try 1024px.

There is not point in changing block region widths as this will throw the whole theme out of kilter.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Antonio Crespo -

Chris, thank you for this nice theme. I am upgrading to Moodle 2.9 and I really like to use it in the new site. After many years of use of Moodle, our faculty have become used to the three column layout and that is precisely what I would like to have for them; so I have modified the config.php file as suggested by Holger. However, I would like to reduce the width for the columns that contain the blocks in the left and in the right sides, leaving more space in the middle for the course content.

Mary, I inserted your code

#page { width: 98%; max-width: 1024px; margin: auto 1%; padding: 0;}

at the top of in evolved.css file (as I could not find the Botstrap.css file) and I got the size of the columns changed, but it is not using the full width of the screen. (see attachment)

I changed #page { width: 98%; max-width: 1024px; margin: auto 1%; padding: 0;}

to #page { width: 98%; max-width: 1600px; margin: auto 1%; padding: 0;} in order to have it covering the full width of the screen; however, that reverts to my initial state because all the three columns resized accordingly.

I will greatly appreciate that you could help with some ideas on:

1. how to resize the columns, individually or using percentages

2. How to incorporate the use of css sprites in order to have several pictures displayed on the front page like

Moodle - The University of Nottingham

3. How can I get the old colourful icons of the TinyMCE HTML editor in Moodle 2.9.

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

Attachment Screenshot-1.png
In reply to Antonio Crespo

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

1)  When you change config.php use find and replace and change out columns2rt.php to columns3.php.

It will fill the page full screen, unlike your screenshot.  Make sure you have the latest version of my theme installed.  

Evolve-D mimics the More theme so changing column widths etc would be handled the same way.  I am not entirely sure how to do that as we just use the defaults.  I can look into including a column width setting on the backend for the next update.  

2) A good place to start with the use of sprites would be the Moodle - The University of Nottingham.  Not quite sure how I would handle this in the theme but if someone has a good suggestion I'd be happy to include it in the theme.

3)  The use of TinyMCE is not related to the theme.  It is a text editor.  We only use the default Atto editor.  

In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Antonio Crespo -

Thanks Chris for your response. I will follow your advise and I wait for the next update of your theme.