Maximum rating in forum

Maximum rating in forum

by Ann Morgan -
Number of replies: 4

Hello, I posted this in another forum ... on forums,  but had no replies. Perhaps I placed it in the wrong spot so will try it here.  I hope that's ok.

Anyway, I have a teacher in Moodlle version 2.3.  She has used a Standard forum with grade settings using  maximum rating (grade 5 points) 

She reports that Moodle entered a grade of 5 into the gradebook automatically after the student made 5 posts.

She never even looked at the posts or gave any ratings and was surprised to see the 5 show up in the gradebook.  I have never used this rating so have no experience with it.  When I read the info it seems different than the result reported to me.

I just need to know  ... Is that the way maximum is suppose to work ... as soon as 5 posts are made ...the grade 5 is entered into the gradebook?

I am attaching a file that shows settings, report and grades.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Ann
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ann Morgan

Re: Maximum rating in forum

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

I think I followed you here or saw a similar question else where.  I too would like to know this answer and would also like to know how to set a negative starting number for points.  Students should lose 20 points from their total until they have asked enough quality questions or make significant answers to get more than 20 points..

In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Ann,

The way maximum rating works is as described in the documentation Ratings: "Maximum rating - The highest rating is returned as the final grade."

From what you describe though it seems to work differently on your site, making me wonder whether it has been customized in some way?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Ann Morgan -

Thanks for the replies ... This forum has always been so helpful to me!

As far as I know nothing has been altered with the forum or ratings ...  It does return the grade of 5 (maximum setting) when the learner has made 5 posts.  Nothing shows up in Grades until 5 has been reached.

The thing I can't wrap my brain around is ...  I had thought that the teacher would be issuing a grade for the student's posts, and then "The highest rating is returned as the final grade."   Especially since in the documentation it says, "This method is useful for emphasizing the best work from participants, allowing them to post one high-quality post as well as a number of more casual responses to others."   However, the way it works on this site is that there is NO evaluation, by the teacher, of the learner's post ... it is just quantity not quality being recorded.  Which is more like the sum of ratings!

I have checked the teacher's settings and everything appears correct ... just not getting the expected result for the maximum rating.

Thanks for your consideration on my inquiry.

Ann

In reply to Ann Morgan

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Should one conclude that there is no merit in grading of forum entries?

It seems to be automatic without regard to the content.
If this is so, them why the "Rate This" option in the posts?

I have use the forum only once for grading points and thought it was peculiar in what I was seeing but did not have the time to check it out so I prevented it from affecting grades.

I guess I will have to rethink my choice of fora.