SQL statement assistance - how to update field with same value from another field in same table

SQL statement assistance - how to update field with same value from another field in same table

by Jerry Lau -
Number of replies: 7

Hello,

We are on RHEL 6.5, MySQL 5.1.7 & PHP 5.3.3 and running moodle 2.6.4+

Table: mdl_user;

We would like to populate the "idnumber" field with the same value in the "username" field globally.

How could we achieve this through an SQL statement?

I don't think we can use the cli syncronization script (which accesses our external database) for legacy ones already in moodle but we can use that script moving forward. Come to think of it, what happens if we run the script again? 

Thank you everyone.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jerry Lau

Re: SQL statement assistance - how to update field with same value from another field in same table

by Jerry Lau -

hmm... would this work?

Data:

----

select id, username, idnumber from mdl_user where idnumber = "" order by id desc limit 10;

+-------+-----------+----------+

| id    | username  | idnumber |

| 83336 | 00010000 |          |

| 83255 | 00010001 |          |

| 83254 | 00010002 |          |

| 83253 | 00010003 |          |

| 83252 | 00010004 |          |

| 83251 | 00010005 |          |

| 83250 | 00010006 |          |

| 83249 | 00010007 |          |

| 83248 | 00010008 |          |

| 83247 | 00010009 |          |

10 rows in set (0.00 sec)

-------------------

update mdl_user

set idnumber = username

Is that it?

In reply to Jerry Lau

Re: SQL statement assistance - how to update field with same value from another field in same table

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Jerry,

Yes, that would do it if you want to overwrite both empty and non-empty fields. To update only empty fields:

UPDATE mdl_user
SET idnumber = username
WHERE idnumber = "";
In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Jerry Lau -

Thanks Mr. Madero

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Jerry Lau -

My concerns are would this affect any existing transactions in any of the tables such as quizzes, grades, forum participations, etc?

I don't think so as I am just updating a field with info that was once blank anyway.

Am I correct? Just thinking before if we make this change in production.

Thoughts?

In reply to Jerry Lau

by Peter Bowen -

Hi Jerry,

I don't believe it will affect any transactions.

My question is though, why? It will be something you need to do each time you add users. I have a vague recollection that I thought of doing exactly what you are recommending some time ago, however worked out another workaround. Perhaps the workaround I did would be more useful. Let me know your case and it may help to jog my memory.

Cheers
Peter

In reply to Peter Bowen

by Jerry Lau -

Thank you Peter. We have used the built in tool already to insert that data.

We are just making sure we want to update those records that don't have value in the idnumber field before we implemented the use of the builtin tool from moodle that's all. We only started using this a week ago. We have about 75,000 that are empty approve

In reply to Jerry Lau

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Jerry,

No, you needn't worry, it's just an informative field used to provide extra user information when needed.