Webhost suggestion

Webhost suggestion

by Jhon Carlos -
Number of replies: 9

Hello,

can you suggest me some webhosting site..

I tried in 000webhost.com but it supports only php v5...

Can you please tell me some other which can give me SUB DOMAINs for free for moodle..

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jhon Carlos

Re: Webhost suggestion

by john Simpson -

Go get hosting. Within a few seconds of clicking moodle on their control panel you will have the latest free moodle 2.7.1

http://gogethosting.co.uk/

You can also get the latest moodle from Hostgator. By installing it through their file manager. Some might need to follow their video tutorial to do it.

In reply to Jhon Carlos

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Contact a Moodle Partner. That way some of the income generated goes back into the development of Moodle. 

In reply to Jhon Carlos

by Sam Kul -

I will personally suggest avoid free hosting if you are serious about building a moodle website.

Better go for cheap and reliable solution, you get one click auto-installer for moodle with : Webhost UK , I personally have almost 5 moodle websites hosted with them for more than 4 year, even a basic package can do your job.

In reply to Sam Kul

by john simpson -

Are your moodles 2.71.  from installation? as many hosts offers are dated one click installs of Moodle 2.5. or 2.6. But your webhost should help you if you ask them.

Secondly my recommendations were not freebies, but low monthly payment of say 5 GBP  for hosting. You can always get a free domain by searching .tk

There are freebies, but I would only use them for practicing, not for the business of building courses and enrolling students.

And yes, for those established institutions who have saved themselves a lot of money, and for those education centres that have been financially successful due to Moodle should consider moodle partners and should directly donate to Moodle for the future benefit of themselves and everyone else. That's the power of open source.

In reply to john simpson

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There is always an undercurrent that Moodle Partners are "expensive". I would urge you that it costs nothing to ask a few for quotes and see what comes back. 

On the other point, I am very reluctant to recommend "one click" installers for anything serious. If you use one, you want to be very sure that your hosting company can support you when it comes to upgrades and such. As we have no idea what these scripts do it is almost impossible to provide help here. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Samuel Witzig -

> On the other point, I am very reluctant to recommend "one click" installers for anything serious. If you use one, you want to be very sure that your hosting company can support you when it comes to upgrades and such.

I suppose that many "one click"-installers do not support "one click"-updates. This means that after you "one click" install moodle, you have to update Moodle yourself. And if you do that, you either need the  know-how to update, or you host Moodle with a moodle-partner which can support/update moodle for you. Which decision you make depends on a lot of things:

• Do you have know-how to do things such as backup and restore databases (in case something goes wrong during an update and you need to go back to the old Moodle-version)?
  • do you plan a large moodle installation or a small one? the larger your moodle Installation is, the more difficulties might arise during updates and you might need to work directly inside the database. To do that, specific MySQL/Postgres/database knowledge is necessary/useful
  • Do you plan to install (many) plugins, or do you just use the Moodle core-functionalities? My experience from a number of Moodle-updates is that most difficulties arise when you use a number of plugins and you might need again to work directly inside the database.
  • If you use shared hosting, you do not always have  access to command line functions. CLI-functionalities are important if you have a large Installation (for example for doing updates, since updates started from a browser might suffer timeouts, or if you need to backup a large database)

> There is always an undercurrent that Moodle Partners are "expensive". I would urge you that it costs nothing to ask a few for quotes and see what comes back. 

To add to Howards argument: Hosting any web-application will cost you! Either you pay someone (e.g. a Moodle-partner), or you invest time, build up know how  and do the work yourself.

Those arguments above are not elusive and I do not claim that they are true in every context. However, I just wrote some arguments down from 4 1/2 years of working with a large installation (35'000 users, 5500 courses) and some small installation.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to john simpson

by Jhon Carlos -

Sir ,

I'm a newbie.. So i first wish to work for sometime in moodle..

So can you suggest me some freebie's.. Thank you..

In reply to Sam Kul

by john Simpson -

To Sam Kull:

Perhaps you can assist us with this discussion with your experience. Have you had to deal with any operating problems, have you had to upgrade. How did you cope with such experiences? As you seem to be using a similar webhost as I have got. British also.

Yes I am planning to use a Russian moodle partner that  I have checked up for in the near future. I just don't have the budget for the moment. I need to generate income in the business first.