Atto - how do I select an existing image?

Atto - how do I select an existing image?

by Urs Hunkler -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers

In other editors I can select an existing image for example with a click on the image. In Atto nothing happens when I click on the image. I need to move the cursor before the image to activate the related "Image" button. With a right aligned image at the beginning of the text I need to poke around to find the right cursor position to active the "Image" button.

I don't have much experience with Atto - is there an easy and reliable way to select an existing image in the editor?

Wouldn't it be great when the image selection would work with a click on the image as expected from former experience?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Urs Hunkler

Re: Atto - how do I select an existing image?

by Damyon Wiese -
You can double click an image to open the edit image dialogue if that helps.
In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Urs Hunkler -

Damyon,  thanks for your answer.

The double click is a great feature and very convenient.

But there seams to be no visual relation to the image button. I would expect the button to be activated when I double click the image. 

And I discovered an unexpected behavior with the image button after a double click on an image. What I did:

• Double click on an image - the image dialogue opens
  • I close the dialogue by clicking on the "x"
  • The dialogue closes and the image button is focused
  • I click on the image button and I get an empty image dialogue - I expected to get the dialogue with the parameters of the image I just had double clicked

I hope my feedback helps.

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Sakshi Goel -

Hello ,

In my case with Atto editor.

1. I inserted a image in the text editor.

2. When i singled click on the image the insert / edit image icon in editor backdground changes with grey. Tested with clean theme.

3. When i doubled click on the image the same thing happened insert / edit image icon background change and pop-up for settings opened.

4. When we click insert / edit image icon it does not select any pre-inserted image in the editor. It allows you to add another image. This is the default behaviour of editor.

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by Urs Hunkler -

Sakshi, I checked the behavior you described in 

"2. When i singled click on the image the insert / edit image icon in editor backdground changes with grey. Tested with clean theme."

and can't confirm this behavior. When I single click on an image the image button does not change and does not get the focus. 

I checked with Moodle 2.7.1 and the "clean" theme.

Am I the only one who thinks the functionality to activate the image button with a single click on the image is known from other editors and it would be very convenient if those expectations would be met in Atto too?

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Jane Moore -

I agree with you Urs; I find the behaviour of the new Atto editor very strange when it comes to selecting existing images - in fact I find the new editor very strange full stop! I have switched back to the TinyMCE editor. sad