Badges importing from one course to another

Badges importing from one course to another

by Amy Pont -
Number of replies: 7
Not sure if this is already answered somewhere on here, but I was unable to find anything.

What I want to know is, when a teacher is importing their course from one to another, something our teachers do every semester, why are the badges they have created not coming over too? Is there a setting that I have missed in editing the teacher role for our institute?

I understand that we may not be able to bring over the badge awarding criteria related to it, but thought that maybe the actual badges would come.

I know that badges is an option in the backup/restore process, however this doesn't seem to work either (again, maybe due to the limited access our teachers have). Either way, our teachers prefer using import as it is much quicker for them.

We are on Moodle 2.6.3 (2.6.4 mid-August).

Hope someone can help.

Thank you.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Amy Pont

Re: Badges importing from one course to another

by Leslie Lott -

I am in the same situation at a higher learning institution.  I am using four badges this semester with specific criteria and would like them available in all the courses I teach.  Is there a seamless way to import the badges to all the courses?

In reply to Leslie Lott

by Yuliya Bozhko -

Hi,

There is a similar request that has been open in Moodle Tracker for quite a while already https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-43938

To be honest, I am not familiar with course import functionality and haven't had time to have a look at it sad

I will try find some time and get the basic import done sometimes soon. This will probably include importing badges without the criteria (as they are course dependent) or a list of awards. Would this be something suitable for people here?

Yuliya

In reply to Yuliya Bozhko

by Amy Pont -

Badges without the criteria is all what would be great for us here, thank you.

I have voted on the tracker job and commented as well with my version.

We are upgrading to 2.7 now in early 2015 so if it could be included soon in that, our teachers would be ever so grateful.

In reply to Yuliya Bozhko

by Beatriz Rojo -

Hi Yuliya,

that would be a great help. Thanks for your efforts!

Regards,

Beatriz.

In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Doug Moody -

One of the problems right now is that if I create a badge in Site Administration, and then go to a specific course and try to Add a New Badge there, using the same name, it tells me that badge already exists in the system. Well of course it does!

But the problem is that now, since it already exists, I can't even make a new one. That is why importing the badge from one course to another is so important. I wouldn't mind if all I could do is make it again manually. But I can't even do that. 

Therefore, I have to use the same badge image, but have to change the name if I want to award a similar badge in another course.

That's why this is an important issue.

Thanks Yuliya.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Doug Moody

by Chris Baldwin -

I have a similar issue. I've voted & commented in the tracker.

Chris

In reply to Amy Pont

by Beatriz Rojo -

Dear all,

until Yuliya finds the time to work on it, a solution to import all the badges in a course is with the option Backup - Restore. It implies a litttle more time but it works. In my school we have opted for this method.