SSL, custom domains, general security and platform curiosities

SSL, custom domains, general security and platform curiosities

by Chris Wagner -
Number of replies: 0
I'm new to Moodle and have been reading through the security docs, but am looking for advice on hosting and the best way to secure a Moodle setup in a shared hosting environment.

I was considering Bluehost or Hostgator as their shared hosting offerings are very reasonable, but I'm certainly not opposed to considering a VPS solution if it's a better fit.

I'm looking at roughly 30-40 entities that could have multiple concurrent users (I can't imagine the number will be tremendously high - I'd guess truthfully the max per entity at any given time concurrent would be at most 5).

I'd like feedback on:

1. Performance - would a shared hosting setup be able to handle that load? I understand it's exactly that by nature and it's sharing resources with other sites. I'm just curious to know if others have/are using Bluehost and/or others with shared and has it been successful.

2. Security - What is the best way to force SSL on a Moodle setup? I'm happy to purchase the cert and work out getting it added, but wasn't sure what needs to be done Moodle-wise (I hadn't reached that in the docs yet....).

3. Familiarity/Training time - There seems to be a significant learning curve to the platform, but I'm in no way implying it's bad. We just don't know what we don't know and I'm trying to get a handle on time frame for orientation with the platform. What kind of time frame can we expect realistically when it comes to learning the platform? I understand it's documented, but can anyone give us anything realistic based on their experiences?

4. Gotchas - Are there any gotchas admins/users need to know heading into adoption of the platform? We like what we've seen, but have very limited resources (including financial), so we're going to be doing a significant amount of this ourselves more than likely.

Thank you,

C.

Average of ratings: -