Too questions about cohorts

Too questions about cohorts

by Ulrike Albers -
Number of replies: 2

Hallo,

We use Moodle 2.5; before we used to enrol users at category level (we have three catogories corrresponding to bachelor year 3, master year 1, master year 2, with about 15 courses each). But that plugin is "obselete" so we now use cohort enrolment. But I have too questions

• Is it possible to enrol a cohort in a category ? Last year I had to enrol each category to each course - if there is a possibility at category level, that would be much faster
  • How can I unenrol a cohort from a course ? I do NOT want to delete the cohort as I still need it (to handle students easierly), and besides there is on course they should stay in for another while

If you have some answer, thank you very much for it !

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ulrike Albers

Re: Too questions about cohorts

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Question 1:  I seriously doubt it.  And I'm surprised that pre-cohorts category enrollment actually worked for you.  In my world, we had endless problems with people getting credit when staff enrolled students in categories.  You can make roles assignment possible in categories in site settings, but enrollment is something that only happens in a course.

Question 2:  you might be able to hide the cohort enrollment, but deleting it would be the best method for unenrolling the cohort.  If someone is in an active cohort, you cannot unenroll them without removing the cohort or removing them from the cohort.

Deleting the cohort enrollment method from a course is not the same as deleting the cohort itself.  You cannot delete the cohort in a course, just the enrollment method using the cohort.

In reply to Ulrike Albers

Re: Too questions about cohorts

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

There is information here http://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Category_enrolments about how to enroll students in category.  I agree that cohort enrollment is preferable and while it takes a little bit longer to set up, gives you more functionality in the end.  

You unenrol the cohort by removing the cohort enrollment method at the course level (courseadmin/users/enrollment  methods).