Update: disk use in a Moodle server

Update: disk use in a Moodle server

Derek Chirnside - келді
Number of replies: 4
There are two threads I have found on course size/disk space use on a Moodle server:

Anyone know of any progress on this kind of report that may indicate big files, big courses sizes - and/or private files reports.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Update: disk use in a Moodle server

Howard Miller - келді
Core developers қатысушының суреті Documentation writers қатысушының суреті Particularly helpful Moodlers қатысушының суреті Peer reviewers қатысушының суреті Plugin developers қатысушының суреті

I did some work on this and then got sidetracked (nobody was paying for it). 

I'll try to get back to it asap. Next week with a spot of luck. 

A big part of my motivation was that I had found a number of sites where the reported disk space (adding up usage from the mdl_files table) bore no relation to the space used on the disk. I was trying to produce something to analyse that.

In reply to Howard Miller

Derek Chirnside - келді

Howard, great.

To the best of my Knowledge, this is true:

• Upload file X and Y what are the same file with maybe different names, Moodle detects this with a hash and stores it once with the name as hash . . .  Correct?
  • Link to big file X in course 1, 2 and 3, then X will appear three times in the backups. Correct?

So disk management becomes difficult.

We have just had disk blowout issues on one server I work with.

• Is there a report somewhere to consider private file use?
  • Is there a report for "Large file" use?
  • Is there a way to discover extra backups lying around in a server?

Just curious.

I'll do a search on tracker, but if anyone is able to post It would be good.

-Derek

Edit: just discovered this more recent post: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=228167
Some stuff from the wonderful catalyst people: http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gw?p=moodle-r2.git;a=history;f=report/coursesize;hb=mdl24-local

In reply to Derek Chirnside

Howard Miller - келді
Core developers қатысушының суреті Documentation writers қатысушының суреті Particularly helpful Moodlers қатысушының суреті Peer reviewers қатысушының суреті Plugin developers қатысушының суреті

My issue was that it was the wrong way around. 

You would expect, surely, the physical space used to not greatly exceed the total reported in the database. Ok files take up space in blocks + lots of small files, so it may be bigger. 

However, I was finding sites where the physical space was twice or more that reported by summing the files in the files database. Now, either I have misunderstood how this works or something is going wrong. 

It's still on my (endless) list Күлкі