Moving Image and Sound Integration

Moving Image and Sound Integration

by Paul Sergeant -
Number of replies: 4

Hello Everyone,

Finally got around to starting this thread... been busy conspiring to create the content of an AV/VJ course that I want to use moodle for...

Which is a good introduction to the thread I suppose - a real life application/requirement for the integration of moving image and sound content into the virtual learning environment.

I am Content Delivery Architect at UKERNA, and my main concern with the deployment of moving image and sound delivery infrastructure on the JANET network here in the UK, is actually that the content can be easily found, and integrated into the MLE/VLE without any headaches. This is probably more of a metadata issue - but although I have been involved in the commercial side of WWW since 95, I have never installed Apache or PHP in my life - but it is something that I attempted today - on a windows 2000 box (i am also a little rusty with my command line). So I hope to come up with some functional spec soon - I am also trying to get an idea of the issues that might need to be dealt with by getting some of my more savvy friends to take an interest in Moodle.

For your information - I am project managing a project that will be trialing various content delivery/streaming technologies (such as QT, Helix, Corona, MPEG-1, 2, 4 etc) for delivery to Universities, Research Organisations, Further Education Colleges, and possibly schools and the curriculum online, with the view to rolling out a national service for these sectors.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has tried integrating any of the streaming media players etc into their moodle projects?

Best regards

Paul Sergeant

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Sergeant

Re: Moving Image and Sound Integration

by Tom Murdock -

Paul,

This week I did something simple with my lit classes.  We were discussing storytelling and I wanted them to hear a few stories from www.thislife.org (NPR's "This American Life"), so I created a resource, named it "Babysitting Story from NPR," chose WEBPAGE as the resource type (so that I could keep the info line at the top of the page), and then let the students know to fast foward RealPlayer to minute 33 of the 59 min recording.  Then I stuck the .ram in the resource link.

When the students click on this resource, Realplayer pops up, loads with the file, and the kids can see exactly what I want them to think about when they are listening.  I know others could be much fancier with media files, but as I was sitting in class, clicking here and there, I wondered to myself what I would do without Moodle.

Hope this helps.

-Tom

In reply to Tom Murdock

by Paul Sergeant -

That sounds great... although I would like to try and build some support into moodle that makes the process of publishing/integrating materials much more efficient (for example - wouldn't it be great to be able to make the students media player jump to EXACTLY the right position and only play the relevent clip?)...

And there is the meta-data angle.. which I am trying to get my head around currently (apart from apache, php and mysql so i can start my moodle project;))

Thanks for the info Tom,

Regards

Paul

In reply to Paul Sergeant

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Ambitious stuff, but sounds good. If you work out a spec or dig up an emerging standard for this sort of level of specification for streaming media then it'd be great to see it in Moodle. I've already been thinking about designs for a real digital library.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Paul Sergeant -

Hmmm... funnily enough - that is what my line manager just said -. to ambitious to take on at the same time as running a streaming trial... so it looks like my moodle project will be carried out in my own time...

Not to worry though - I am on the case smile

I will get some stuff together and post it up here for comment.

Regards
Paul