Functions for duplicating courses

Re: Functions for duplicating courses

by Michael Milette -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Here are a couple of alternatives for you that you don't need to program but may still be of use to you.

If you just want to copy a section of a course, the block_sharing_cart block is your friend. Makes re-using things like Feedback forms a snap. You can even do things like create a master course library of pre-configured activities that you can then re-use when building new courses.

Also, if you are just duplicating courses verbatim because you are offering multiple identical instances of the courses, check out mod_facetoface. For example, instead of creating 5 instances of the same course (one for each night of the week), this lets you schedule 5 instances in one shot. This is really nice because, if you make a change to one course, it changes them all. The plugin gives an example of scheduling repeated face to face sessions however, from what I can see, it will let you do this with just about any activity module.

It really depends on what is your desired outcome.

Best regards,

Michael

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Milette

Re: Functions for duplicating courses

by Salvador Banderas Rovira -
Hi:

Thanks for the answers, I totally forgot I put this here!

The thing is I didn't need an existing feature, module or block, but a chunk of code, because I was developing an interoperability solution for my organization. That's what I was asking specifically for a function.

What I ended up doing was relying on the already existing Moodle backup/restore functions. I took a look at the externallib core_course_external::duplicate_course() function and created a similar one for my local plugin.

But thank you all so much for the suggestions.

Best regards,

Salva