Essential pre-release testers needed

Re: Essential pre-release testers needed

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Do you want extra functionality added to the new slider or the option of having the old slider put back as a switch-able alternative?  The latter does have lots of issues, which was why it was removed, that would need to be addressed if it were included again.

Also, I did look at the code: http://tympanus.net/codrops/2012/03/15/parallax-content-slider-with-css3-and-jquery/ and have just looked at the license for the site upon which it was hosted: http://tympanus.net/codrops/licensing/ - and need to be sure that the theme is compliant, as "You are not allowed to take our work "as-is” and sell it, redistribute or re-publish it, or sell "pluginized” versions of it." but "If you plan to create free WordPress, jQuery, Joomla, etc. plugins out of our scripts, please credit us in a fair way and link to the respective article on Codrops." so would need to be sure that all of the theme complied with these terms.

Of note is the line: "that most of the tutorials and resources are experimental and not ready for production, but made for inspiration and demonstration purpose only." therefore would indicate a non-production ready state for versions of Essential that use it."

Therefore the current version only incorporates the stable Bootstrap 2.3.2 version of the carousel.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Casey Snyder -

Either would work for me, personally. smile  Adding it to the new slider would be okay, to avoid licensing problems.  I tinkered with it a bit, and was able to force the image in front of the caption, however long captions get hidden by the image using this 'fix'.  More tinkering to get it right (I tried floating the caption box left, and the image right, but I'm not a CSS expert... it didn't work for me...)...

/* This forces the image to be in front of the caption.  If the caption is long, it will be hidden under the image. */
img.carousel-image {z-index:1;}
div.carousel-caption {z-index:-1;}

My own OCD required I code the marketing spots to all be the same height.  Otherwise, different lengths of marketing text in each box make the boxes varying height.  This was fine when they stacked top to bottom on small displays (tablets, phones) but drove me bonkers when side-by-side on desktop displays.

/* This sets the height of the marketing spot boxes so they're all uniform.  Otherwise, they size to fix the text and each ends up being a different height. */
div.service {height:250px;position:relative;}
/* This parks the marketing spot boxes buttons in the lower right corner of each box.  Otherwise, they float up just below the text, looking funny. */
div.service p {position:absolute;bottom:5px;right:10px;}

Again, it's a nice theme, and borrowing features from Elegant is great, too!

In reply to Casey Snyder

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Casey,  I have plans to implement this: https://github.com/DBezemer/moodle-theme_essential/issues/63.

To be honest, Elegance borrows things from Essential.  And Essential will soon borrow things from Shoehorn and Bootstrap.  Shoethorn has borrowed things and improved on them from Elegance.  I have improved all four themes in varying amounts of effort.